1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo 260

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy348, May 19, 2003.

1. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

Today (and after considerable research on this site) I purchased the Echo 260 trimmer. It is a stronger version of my home cheapo 2100 trimmer. However, after priming and several yanks on the starter cord i get nothing. Do it again and again and same thing. Choke, no choke whatever this puppy ain't gonna work. Call dealer they say it may be flooded....take out spark plug vent, clean start from scratch and still nothing. Has anyone had a similar experience with the echo 260 (i ended up using the old one which fires after one pull). O yes, i took it back and they gave me another one...............looks real nice on the trailer but too bad it won't work either.
  2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Is that the 260s? Mines a few months old and works fine.
  3. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Jimmy I have ran echos for years and have no trouble.

I prime mint for 6 - 8 times put on choke and pull the cord.

No problems.

4. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

Make sure switch is on !!! I also have a 260 at it starts everytime !
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

My 260S did not want to start and or run as good as the old 2601 they replaced.

The problem is the EPA friendly carbs that are on the newer model 260S.

It will work great after a several gallon break in period but prior to that mine was terrible to start and required warming up for about a minute before it would run reliably.

Prime 3-6 pumps, full choke on, full throttle, pull cord till it kicks, choke off, pull till it starts, allow to warm up.
  6. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 260 power head, It works fine after it warms up, very cold nature. Very powerful and happy with it. I prime till I see no air bubbles, chock and pull once or twice, off chock and one to two pulls and fires. Why it's so cold nature :confused: about 30 seconds and ready to go..

Lou :cool:
  7. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

I thought I was going nuts. Thing finally started and it really is a nice unit but geeze. Got friggin blisters on my hands starting a unit that was over $250?????? That ain't good in my book. Think I will take it back and get the electric one (just need about 500 feet of extention cords) :dizzy:
    Thanks again for the input guys.
  8. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

I have SRM-260S trimmers and they are great. Start 1 to 2 pulls every time. Maybe you are doing something wrong or using bad gas/oil mix.

Make sure to use 89 octane gas and Echo oil....

Good luck!!!!
  9. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Didn't your dealer start it for you there at the shop just to make sure it was going to work? If not then there's something not right about that. All the echo dealers I have bought from always start it first before it leaves with me.
  10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Dude it's an awesome unit. Take it back to the dealer you got it from, show them what procedure you're using to start it, learn the right way if necessary. If it turns out to be the unit is faulty get it either fixed or replaced.

Don't give up a commercial quality trimmer for electric! You will regret that.

Ask the dealer if he has any of the older style 2601's in stock still.