Echo 2601 trimmer hard starting...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Apr 18, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I have all echo small equipment all seem to operate well year after year however i do have a 2601 trimmer that has become hard to start, plugs new so..any tips?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You did mention year after year, so this could mean it's old. It could be low on compression which will make them hard to start. Does it run good once it is started?

3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it runs great after its started, the trimmer is three years old and yes has seen its share of abuse, but it runs great when it gets started, takes about 5-6 pulls, but other times it will take on the first? Ohh yea the turf tiger recieved a new clutch, and to my suprise it was still under warranty....Does everything go at once?

4. blairg

blairg LawnSite Member

I use all Echo small equip. First thing I do when new and screws are still removable, is take the screen out of muffler arrester because this will eventually clog.
    1. You may need to clean exhaust ports.
    2. You may have an unnoticable pinhole in the fueline at the carb connection.
    3. There is a small screen (discard it) in the in tank fuel filter.
    This is all assuming the the carb is adjusted correctly.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If it is starting sometimes in one pull, it sounds more like you are not choking it enough or to much when it's cold, or not priming it enough. If it runs OK once it starts, the exaust ports must be OK and the spark arrester must be out or clean.

6. Lawnking

Lawnking LawnSite Member

check the air filter to be sure it's not saturated in gas from tipping on it's side. Echo also makes a tune up kit for its trimmers which includes an air filter, plug, breather, and fuel pick up filter which is in the gas tank. Yuor local Echo dealer should have this.