1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ECHO 260S Trimmer/ taking too long to warm up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedOak, Sep 2, 2002.

1. RedOak

RedOak LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Got a new echo 260s string trimmer this spring and since day one I have to wait about 45 seconds to one minute, maybe a little longer, for it to warm up ( it will die when I give it gas) even if I just used it ten minutes ago. I have tried adjusting idle screw and checked exhaust port screen. I have two echo 2100's over four years old and have never had this problem with them( fire them up and go immediately). Once I get the 260 going it runs great but in the time it takes for it to warm up I could have blown off half of a small residential property. Any suggestions?
  2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere does the same thing till it's broken in. Now its one or two pulls and it's ready for anything.
  3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You need to adjust the carbs. low speed screw, not the idle screw. The trimmer is running too rich and needs to warm up to burn off the mix.
  4. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I bought two s series echos this spring and I am not impressed. I always reach for the old worn in 2601's. It does seem that they do take olonger to warm up and if you are trimming in tight areas and can not run full throttle the engines bog and you've got to feather the throttle. My dealersl reply-there designed to run full throttle all the time. Redmax is looking pretty god to me right now!!!
  5. RedOak

RedOak LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Forgot to mention that this trimmer does not have carburetor acceleration or speed adjustment needles(screws). On my older 2100's their are two screws for this adjustment. Is there some other method for these newer trimmers?
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I too have an older SRM-2601 trimmer and a new SRM-260S and I see EXACTLY what you are referring to.

When I start the 2601 it's ready to go in like 10 seconds, full throttle, idle, good transition whatever, it's ready. The 260S HAS to go through warming up or it just does not run right.

I'm going to look into making some adjustments on the needles on the carb. Have to get out the manual and figure out which needle is which though. I don't want to burn up a new weed eater by running it to lean.

I'll let ya know what I find out.

7. RedOak

RedOak LawnSite Member
    from DFW

You hit the nail right on the head. I'd be very interested to know what you find out. I do not understand why there is no longer anyplace to make exterior adjustments to the carburetor. (at least none that I can see)
  8. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

There are no adjustments on the carbs anymore do to the EPA. To meet the emissions regulations the carbs com in a fixed position. You can thank the "Tree Huggers" for that. All 2 stroke power equipment is headed in this direction. I am not sure what the date for when it has to be done by is.
  9. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My John Deere (new this summer) has been start 'n go since day one. No warmup required.