1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo 260S

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WoodBrothersLC, Jun 3, 2005.

1. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We had a trimmer shoot the crap on us yesterday in the middle of a few big lawns far from home. When we finally got all of the work done yesterday, we headed over to the nearest Echo dealer and picked up the 260S trimmer. It was only $20 more than the 230 and it is definately worth the money so far. We have always used Stihl because of the fact that they have so much torque and are very reliable machines, but I think we've found a trimmer that will run alongside the FS80's.
  2. kpyoung

kpyoung LawnSite Member

Good decision! We run a couple of these too. One is an older model (before they put the plastic safety tab on the handle). I used a cable-tie to permanently engage the switch on the newer one. I prefer the older unit, that is the one I always grab, seems to run a little stronger.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Coulda spent the other other $20 and bought a 261t. It'll twist your wrist when you hit the throttle. :cool:
  4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

MInes over three yrs old. Cant complain.
  5. MercyMe

MercyMe LawnSite Member

Excellent trimmer.

I haven't tried the 261T yet but I heard it's awesome.
  6. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

I have bought 2 260s in the last 2 years . The last one lasted 2 months.The carbs are the problem.I will never buy Echo again except for the 650&750 blowers!
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

They put the carb adjustment back on and that made a lot of difference. If you have units that are a year old the adjustment should be on it and if not it only cost $50 for carb(with adj.)
  8. MercyMe

MercyMe LawnSite Member

2 months?? Why didn't you take it back to the dealer to be repaired?

I have had no problems with my Echo trimmers outside of normal wear and tear and maintenance.

I have a 2601 Echo and the new ( last year ) 260 echo trimmers. They run all day long even when I get caught in a rain storm! Best trimmer on the market in my opinion!!

261??? New trimmer? I will have to check this out...... Straight shaft or split????
  10. ky-lawn-guy

ky-lawn-guy LawnSite Member

I am on my third echo trimmer, my newest is a 230 and its not nearly as strong as the older models. I absolutely loved my first two...SRM 2400 I think... but my new one always seems like its bogged down and doesnt have nearly the power the others had. It seems like something with the carb but i dont see any adjustment. I may have to switch to all stihl if this is how the newer echos are now....my stihl is still running VERY strong after over two years..they may be a little heavier but it may be worth the extra power.