echo 260t

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wahlturfcare, Mar 22, 2012.

1. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I have a echo 260t that last year started running rough and half powered. I have the carb adjusted by me and a echo dealer which made it run alittle better. The spark arrester has been removed, exhaust port cleaned and muffler checked but would still go back to running poor.
    yesterday I stuck a new muffler on it and it still wants to do the same thing and run half powered and bogs down when i try to edge with it. I alm running opti oil @ 50:1 mix and using unleaded(non ethanol) gas. I also replace the fuel filter, lines, air filter and spark plug.
    Any ideas?

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Have you checked the compression--anything less than 110psi is getting into the questionable area. Most of Echo's equipment will be around 120+ psi when new.

It would appear that you have covered everything but the carburetor itself. If the metering and pump diagphrams/gaskets haven't been replaced that is something you may want to consider or possibly a complete kit. Occasionally the internal filter screen will get loaded with debris as well. Check both gaskets, between the isoblock/head and between carb/isoblock for possible air leaks. Check isoblock for any apparent cracks.

When you had the muffler off, did you examine the piston and cylinder for any unusual metal transfer/wear? If your compression is low, this is something to check.

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmmm.....Getting a little quicker.....

4. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i meant that i put a new carb on it instead of muffler. The compression is around 118 and the piston/cylinder all in great shape as far as I can tell.

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

If the exhaust port was clogged more then 50% I would check for clogged transfer ports in the cylinder....
    Posted via Mobile Device