Echo 261-T

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowingtowing, Aug 2, 2005.

1. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

Well, i bought this trimmer new a few months ago and it was going great for a while untill recently the only way itll run, esp for first 5-10 mins after starting is to choke it about 50-75% of the way. Otherwise, itll stall out when i open the throttle. Anyone else have that problem?? It seems to run ok with very little string out, but when its out to a working length, its got to be choked to run "right".
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

it's starving for fuel. sounds like something in the carb.. take it back to your dealer and it should be fixed under warranty. some things to check - is the fuel line kinked? fuel tank vent working? water in the fuel? fuel filter clean? carb tight to engine? these are mostly old engine problems so i still say it's in the carb..
  3. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

Sounds like either lack of fuel or the carb need turning this sometime will happen after they are run in .
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I think the carb is too lean, which is causing it to run well when choked 50-75%, which will add more fuel to the mixture. you need to visit the dealer, have them adjust it and make things right.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This unit has an adjusting screw on the carb simply turn it ccw a bit and the unit wil be fine. You have to grind a screwdriver tip down a lot to get it into the is not user friendly. Be sure the fuel filter is not clogged and the spark arrestor screw is removed or that will be a problem down the line.
  6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got an echo that does that, always has. Taken in 3 different places and got new carbs...still does it! That's why they are laying in the garage floor...maybe they will get runover.
  7. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

thanks for all the input, i was prety sure it was running lean all along and did a quick glance for an idle adjusting screw and didnt locate one. Ill look again and hopefully find it. Ill make sure carb is tight and inspect fuel filter as well.

ed2hess, could you elaborate on the "spark arrestor screw" please...
  8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

He meant the spark arrestor screen thats in the muffler. its a small screen, you'll see it in the outlet, remove it and forget it exists.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The 261T has a hidden adjustment screw it is recessed in a hole. You look toward the carb from the rope side ....after cleaning the dirt out of the hole. It is there, if not you need to take the unit in and get the correct carb.
  10. fourseasonlawns

fourseasonlawns LawnSite Member

my 260 works great, but my 261t has same problem.