Echo 261T Throttle Cable Problem...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cahermit, Nov 30, 2007.

1. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

Ok, so I'm trimming along today when my trimmer runs out of gas. Stop and refill, and when I start it back up, the throttle cable came disengaged from the throttle on the carb. Simple enough, I took off the air filter cover and re attached it. Problem is that now it's running low RPMs at full throttle. Everything appears fine on the carb end, so I checked the trigger and housing. Took it apart, everything appeared fine, so I put it back together. The problem got worse! Now at full throttle the cable doesn't even move the throttle body on the carb.

It's almost as if the throttle cable stretched on me and gained about an inch!

That can't be the case, so what's going on here, and how do I fix it?

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If the trigger end is still hooked up and the carb end is hooked up but the trigger wond activate the carb you have a broken cable. Go to echo-usa.com and check the breakdown. The handle has to be separated but the repair is straightforward.

Dutch

3. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

They're both hooked up and the cable moves, just not far enough to do any good. I don't think the cable's broken. It seems too long...

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You probably bend the holding bracket at the carb end. Just bend it back to take up some of the slack. There are adjusting nuts on the carb end and maybe they are loose...but since this happened after fill up of gas likely bend something.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Check to see if your throttle trigger or the rubber grip have moved. Some times they will twist on the tube and you will have the problem you describe.

6. oldmacbride

oldmacbride LawnSite Member

Cable is starting to break, as individual strands start to break the cable starts to stretch. This is why it seems to work but wont pull the throttle wide open. My 261's always break inside the trigger housing. Also be sure to seat the cable properly in the trigger housing. Hope this helps.

Chad

7. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious did you fix the Echo yet?

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Could it have an adjustment to tighten down a screw on the cable, either end?
    Some machines do, the screw clamps the cable firmly in place.
    Might've come loose, if it has one.