Echo 265 and 280?'s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dawg, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I was wondering if these trimmers are doing OK for people that are running them. I have a couple of places with alot of chainlink and was thinking of getting one and putting on a Edgit. Oh BTW I am going to quite looking at specs on web pages because they always seam to be wrong. On Echos site they list both of these trimmers at about the same weight, but when I looked at them at the dealer I said the 280 felt lighter. The sales person said the 280 is lighter and showed me on the info sheet that the 280 is 13 and the 265 is 14 pounds.

2. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Just get a FS90R or a 130R, both are lighter and have more torque without giving up the bladespeed like the Echo does.

3. Turf Dawg

I have 3 fs90 trimmers a 90 edger and another 90 trimmer with the hedge trimmer attachment on it. Also have other brands of trimmers. Do not want to sound rude, but I am just wondering about the new Echos.

4. Turf Dawg

Is anyone using these yet? Since they are a new product I was just wanting to know if they were having any problems.

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I can't speak directly to the two trimmers in question, but I would submit that Echo trimmers are top-notch.

I have a SRM-260S (steel shaft) which serves as our dedicated Edgit trimmer. Going on a three years of duty, problem free.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The 265 is a beast. It has tons of power. We just put our new 265 to the test today on a couple lawns that needed edged badly. It cut right through the heavy over growth very easily. It is very smooth running and quieter than the older echo engines we have used.

7. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Dude, dont even mess with echo. I have been there and done that. Ill only buy Stihl now. Go with Stihl or RedMax

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

with either. The 265, although the same cc size as the 260, just seems to have more power than the 260, which is impressive.

Not a fan of stihl, even though some guys love them.

9. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

I dunno, I have the 261T and one of my friends that I subcontract from has the fs90's. I've used both so my opinions aren't biased. My 261T has more torque, and is more comfortable to operate. I only have to operate the 261T at 1/4 throttle instead of 1/2 on the fs90's.

Even his guys like my trimmer better, and they have been doing this for longer than I have, so their opinion would hold more weight than mine.

10. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member