Echo- 330 Chain saw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Eakern & Dog, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

One of the bolts that mounts the bar is broken. The bolts appear to be "fused" in to body of the plastic housing. Is there a way to have this repaired or can another stud be welded on to what is left of the the bolt ?

Curious if this is even worth it .
  2. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

If the saw is still in good shape this is what I did. Clean the machine and then take the air cleaner cover and filter off. Take the carb/choke/fuel lines off, remove carb,go to bolt box and try to find as close to a matching bolt as possible (10 mm nut that comes off the back bolt) gently drive out the busted shaft/head of the broken one, if you need to grind the top of the new one, fine, just make sure shaft size/length are same,mix some epoxy and seat the new bolt,glue it, let it set for a day and so far this one is still running, I just don't tighten it as tight as the back bolt, that was 2 years ago, so the saw is still making money and everybodies happy. Cheaper than a new saw,Good Luck, K
  3. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Hey you might try one of the sponsors on here, and see what getting a replacement bolt is, they deal in the little parts that keep it all going,they are an oasis for little parts, just make sure you have the Model # and Serial#for the unit if you don't have the part#
  4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

It should be removeable ( drill and easyout etc.)

The stud is echo part # V224000030.
  5. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I will try it. It still runs good and I really don't want to buy another one.
  6. forrpets

forrpets LawnSite Member

that stud unscrews out. i just used pliers. just type in the part number in google and there are several places to buy the stud.
  7. echoman8

echoman8 LawnSite Senior Member

The bolt is actually a stud. You local echo dealer should stock it.

If you are very very careful to drill exactly in the center of the broken stud, then you can use an "EASEOUT" to remove it. A left handed drill bit works great on this and sometimes it comes out without using the easeout.

If you are not very experienced at this, you might take it to the shop. It is kind of a one time shot because centering the hole drilled is important.

Also, the saw will work ok with just one stud. Just be careful to not overtighten the remaining stud. The bar adjustmnent screw is the mechanism that keeps your chain tight. If the chain gets loose quickly, there is a problem with your bar, chain or sprocket.

Good luck,