Echo 403T backpack blower acting up???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lpandroc, May 15, 2005.

1. lpandroc

lpandroc LawnSite Member
    from tampa

Hi all..I have a relatively new Echo Backpack 403T blower..Its been acting weird as I was using it yeaterday and all of a sudden...dead...It will idle for 30 seconds then putter out..wont even idel for longer???...Emptied fuel, put new in....checked air and fuel filter?...All fine!!!...The things barely been used?...any thoughts?..my arms are ready to fall off as I cant get this guy going..Please help if you can..Thanks , Lance

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I can't help Ya but 2 cycles aren't my bag,But I can remind you if a unit doesn't pop spit or sputter in 4 or 5 pulls all your doing is wearing out the recoil assembly and your arm.
    I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to give a hand !
    Good luck

3. martinw

martinw LawnSite Member

Only thing I can think of off the bat. Does it speed up before it dies? if so it could be starving for fuel (maybe a hole in the line) Or ther is a screen in the carb that could be cloged.

4. lpandroc

lpandroc LawnSite Member
    from tampa

no increase in speed...idles the dies in 20 sec.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you can keep it running with quick start being sprayed into carb, then I would agree that the screen in carb could be the problem. Take carb apart and clean it. YOU are sure spark plug is okay and tight? And the spark arrestor has been taken out of muffler?

6. lpandroc

lpandroc LawnSite Member
    from tampa

Ed Thx for the helo...the plug is new and the tblower is 6 months old..I have not taken the spark arrestor off?...would you recommend it off and keep it off???..I live near woods?..How could that be it after only months of use?...again thoughts?

7. Restrorob

This is only one thing that could cause this problem,The screen clogs up rather quickly because of the oil in the fuel,Take it off and see if it will run.
    If it does clean the screen and reinstall,Most people leave them off to avoid cleaning besides you can see if a fire breaks out,But I've never heard of it happening. If this isn't the fix have you checked the fuel filter in the tank ?
    If yes you need to go inside the carb. and clean it.

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

6 months old? Then it's still under warranty! Take it to your dealer and let them handle it.

Not likely the spark arrestor, it's too new, unless your been running a very oil rich mixture.

Does it start and idle again after a cooling period? My guess is it does, and you've got a coil problem, which is covered under a lifetime warranty.

9. Restrorob

I thought of warranty also,But if they find trash or something in the carb. causing the problem it will not be covered.

10. lpandroc

lpandroc LawnSite Member
    from tampa

well removed the screen and the surrounding gasket that holds it in place...nothing???.....Well I think its in the carb and not under warranty, but who knows??...they want $55 plus parts to open the carb and fix. Is that reasonable?..or is it something I can do (Yikes!!!)..Thanks all