1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo 410 blowers

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MarcSmith, Dec 2, 2005.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Does any one here use the Echo 410 blowers?

if so Has any one had any problems with them....

My guys just ate up two engine blocks on my two newest blowers....

I am hoping its not becasue they are stupid and put straight gas in...But it probably is...
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

there is a new member here toro/echo dealer fla he might could tell you if they are having problems. A few years ago when I was part time I had so much work I hired a helper, well I knew to pre-mix the oil gas, there was no way i would trust it to anyone else. At the time I had several different types of equipment and ratios, He would put the 50:1 in the 32:1 ......and 32:1 in the 50:1. Ive always been a solo operator, just dont think I could ever trust anyone to get it right
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mean the blocks or the cylinder heads?

If you mean the cylinder heads, I CAN offer some info that will help.

A top end failure is one thing.
    A bottom end failure is another.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Look in the tanks and see if the fuel is mixed or straight, thatll give you a quick answer of if you guys did it or not with the gas!!
  5. Envy Lawn Service

With some mixes that can be hard to tell though...

For instance, the mixes I use don't make the fuel dark.
    Sometimes it will have a blue tint...
    But in Amoco gas or any clear/white gas it's hard to tell.
  6. MarcSmith

plus if some one screw sup a engine, its not hard to dump and refill....

Its the pistons and cylinder.....

we were able to save one with some honeing, but still needed new piston and rings.....

I am putting apolict in place that only myself and 4 others are allowed to mix fuel. So that should help with the consistency of the mixes...
  7. Envy Lawn Service

My guess on diagnosis of the root cause is borderline lean air/fuel mixture.
    Pulling the plug right after failure might have told you a lot from it's condition.

My Echo stuff WAS lean also. In fact, I attribute their short life issue that now seems to be spread across much of their product line to these borderline lean factory settings that help them with the EPA. Burns them up.

My suggestion is to add just a minor tad more fuel at the carb.
    This will probably require removing the limit caps off the adjustments though.
    A minor pain but certainly worth it.

I'd also recommend the switch to a premium 2 cycle oil like Opti-2.
    Honestly, that probably helped save mine.
    My stuff was lean enough that I was having throttle response issues.
    Especially after startup... and I've ran like that a WHILE.
  8. MarcSmith

we have only used the Stihl 2 stroke oil. and we have already pulled the limiters off of the carb. My mechanic is pretty good and we have quite a few old echo trimmers so I have not had any real problem with echo....just these two failures, and I am leaning towards a fuel mix problem, or a bonehead, used the wrong can...