1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo 770 or redmax 8500

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Dwittbecker, Oct 16, 2013.

1. brosko

brosko LawnSite Member

with the 8500 its tough to find somethimg formitable enough to blow with it. The things almost like having a push blower on your back. You will see that as the motor is breaking in during first couple of tanks that the power will be unleashed. Its almost scary how much cfm's this blower moves.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. bravo4

bravo4 LawnSite Member

Hi All,

New to this forum. Looking for advice.

I have a long driveway between two natural rock walls and the rock is constantly sliding off into the driveway. The larger rock I pick up, but I'd like to be able to blow the smaller rocks down the driveway and shovel at the end.

Been reading through the different opinions on this site, product reviews on other sites (Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). Some say that these blowers can move smaller rocks (softball size and down). I am trying to decide from the following for my application based on power, reliability and ease of use (this a 4-stroke is being considered).

• Husqvarna 560BTS - most affordable, yet powerful and good reviews
      Husqvarna 580BTS - a step up from the 580 - worth the extra $120?
      ECHO PB-770T
      Makita BBX7600N - 4 stroke (no mixing)

What would you recommend?
  3. RGPowerEquipment

RGPowerEquipment LawnSite Member

If emmissions are your concern then buy a Dolmar PB-7601.4 (same as the Makita) and go for a true 4stroke with more guts than the BR600. Cleaner, quieter, more power and more reliable in my opinion.
  4. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

Husky 580 will move gravel, plain and simple.
  5. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

If you want the Highest CFM then go for the the Husky 580. Same as the Redmax 8500 except has better straps.

I like the concept of a 4 stroke with no oil/gas mixing but untill they start making the same CFMs as the Husky 580 or Redmax 8500 i will not consider them for a Backpack.
  6. Dwittbecker

Dwittbecker LawnSite Member

They are not true 4 strokes you still have to mix oil and gas.
  7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Personally I'd take the EBZ7500 over either two.

Whilst great without doubt, the 8500 is essentially a 90% identical machine to the 7500, just a larger piston, cylinder and fan. If it's like my EBZ8001 then you can expect more power at the cost of durability and fuel guzzling. My biggest complaint would be the $100+ extra you pay over the 7500 for what is essentially the same production cost.

As for the Echo I'd look at it if you want something reliable and low on noise. Echo seems to be leading the field in acoustics with 73 dB, whilst Redmax screams out 77 dB which in fact is two times louder. I've owned Echo stuff in the past and they are better than their reputation. Nothing special but gets the job done.
  8. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

You sure about that Dwittbecker? My Dolmar 4-stroke runs on straight gas; it's not a 4-Mix. I'm thinking of buying more of their equipment, for the reasons RGP states. Their 245.4 stringer trimmer is fantastic.
  9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

10. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

I own a kawasaki which I like, but GO REDMAX!