Lawn Care Forum banner

Echo Air Filter Getting Gas-Soaked

13K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Knight511 
#1 ·
I have an Ech SRM-210 that I bought not running. I cleaned the carb out really good, changed the air filter, plug, and fuel filter. I got it running really well and used it for a couple days. The all of a sudden it would only run on half-choke and I could run it WOT that way without a hiccup for about a minute straight and then for no reason it would bog an die out. The air filter is now soaked in gas. Give it one pull and it fire right back up, runs like a champ and you can do the same thing, WOT for about a minute and it'll die out. It will barely run at all with the choke off. I also noticed that the primer bulb is really hard to push, like something is restricting it. Anyone have any ideas? Does the carb just need to be cleaned out better?

#2 ·
If the air filter is getting gas soaked while running it may be a sign that the compression is not what it should be. If the compression is bad, you're going to have some blowby the piston/rings that is pushing fuel back through the carb into the filter. Check the compression--normal is 120+. Anything less than 100 would be suspect.

When you initially cleaned the carb, did you blow any air through the ports of the primer base? If so, you may have damaged one of the check valves thus making the primer bulb hard to push.

#3 ·
Sounds like a check valvve is sticking causing the blower to dump more gas than it can burn. If the float in a carb (not saying that has happened here) sticks open (like on a Honda 160 engine), it will allow an unmetered amount of gas to pass flooding the carb and eventually spilling out and soaking the filter.

Short version: Sounds like something got fouled up in your reassemble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.