Echo and Carb problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am finding that my new echo trimmers and edger "260" series are leaking fuel out the carb, soiling my air filters. They leak out the muffler causing a big mess. These machines are often hard to start, the bolts that hold the muffler on break off inside the exhaust port as well.

I now have a unit, 260 trimmer that would no longer run. The dealer said it needs a carb kit. He says it is because of bad gas, or dirt in the fuel that causes it. This trimmer is less then 4 mo's old, and I use high quality 89 octane with fuel stabilizer. I change the fuel filter and air filter regularly (by neccesity). Is there a posibility that this problem is not because of my fuel, or maintenance practices, but because of some inherent flaw in this type of unit? I run the same fuel in all my trimmers and blowers, and have no problems with these other units. I have a Shindaiwa that is fairly anchient which has never had these type of problems, nor has my Stihl blower that is quite old.

I would like confirmation that It may not be me, so when they try to stick me with the bill, I can raise a stink with a good reason to do so.

I like my Echo Blowers, but do not see buying anything else Echo in the future. I am very disapointed since they departed from the 2601 series.

Any help is appreciated.

Jay

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

There is a recall on some Echo trimmers and other equipment. The recall has to do with bad fuel lines and possible fire hazard. Do a search on this site for "Echo recall" for more info.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Echo is notorious for carb problems. If you do a search on this topic you will be amazed at the number of posts.

4. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

I have all echo trimmers, hand blower, Hedge trimmer and can't wait to get rid of them. I hate all there starting problems due to carberation problems. I have Kawaski Back pack and love it. Two pulls always starts warm or cold. Echo 20 pulls later never know whethers going to run or not. I am done with any Echo products.

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

The recall has nothing to do with the 260 model.

And your not alone I have the same problem, but not just echo. Kawasaki dot he same. I have heard the Shins have no heating problems and run fine all day.

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah like Turf said, it's not just Echo's stuff. When I first got my Kawi trimmer, if I left it in direct sunlight, the gas would expand and push fuel into the engine. It did it so bad one time that I had to pull the plug out and drain fuel as it had hydrolocked itself. Before I got my enclosed trailer(problem solved), I would just throw a towel or big rag over the motor and that fixed it...You can also loosen the cap a little as well. That's the only thing that has ever tarnished my opinion about an other wise excellent trimmer.