echo back pack blower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by snapper, Jul 25, 2002.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

A guy I know is giving two old pb-400 blowers. If there isn't too much wrong on them, Is it usually cost effective to fix them? (In other words, would I be better off buying a new one or fixing this one.) And what would be a ballark guess on cost to rebuild one of these? Is it something I could do? When I get these I am hoping it is simple stuff since he isn't much of a mechanic. He can't remember why he quit using them, but i am guessing something simple like a muffler or similar. I don't think he used them enough to wear them out. I will give more information when I get these. Thanks for the help, Snapper

2. If they are free why not take a shot at fixing them. Most 2 stroke problems are, fuel, carbon, carb.-easy stuff & cheap to fix---
    If its more than that decide if your time and parts $ are worth it.
    If nothing else I'd take them to mess with in off season

3. snapper

Okay, he gave me three of them. On of them is defineately a parts blower; One of them I got to run, but has a loud clank/knock , it seems to have full power; and one I haven't tried yet. I will post what I find about the knock. Any guesses to the cause of the knock? Thanks, snapper

4. snapper

Well I figured out the knock. The knock was dirt or some thing in the fan houseing. I cleaned out the chamber and put it back together, no more knock. This isn't the most powerful blower, but defineately a step up over my old one. If anybody has any tips or tricks to using a bp blower, I need them. Thank you Snapper

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

so how many are running??

6. snapper

Right now only one is running. The other two, one is missing pull rope, carb, spark plug wire,etc.., The other one I can't get fire out of the plug, so if I can get it to fire, it might start. Some day i will work on it and see. Now, for a new question. When this blower wears out internally(which i'm guessing will be a while), what is involved in rebuilding it? It is difficult or require special tools? Can you buy some kind of short block? And what kind of a price am I looking at for parts?(in other words, does it cost less to rebuild or buy a new one) Thanks again, Snapper

7. Rebuilding these engines is simple. Parts are not that $, so your labor is the big thing.

for parts prices check this site- they are a little slow so dont be in a hurry to get things but they have a great search site.

www.rcpw.com

8. vipermanz

by not getting "fire" are you not getting a spark?, probably electrical if so , check all your switches

9. snapper

what it is on this blower, there is an internal thing inside that makes the voltage, a single wire runs out. Then you have the spark wire with a thing on the bottom where the one wire goes. I think this might be bad. When I get around to working on it I can pull the one off the working blower and see if the other blower will fire. If it does I just need one of those, if not it's the internal thing. But right now I got one running and thats all i need. Even if I get spark, I don't know what kind of shape the seals, rings, carb,etc.. are in so it might run or it might not. New question, typically when rebuilding a 2 cycle what parts do you replace? Is a short block neccessary, or can you just do seals and rings and such? I have never rebuilt one so I was just wondering. Thanks again, snapper.. forget to mention, They are pb-400E. I dont know what difference the E makes but it does.

10. vipermanz

you must be taliking about the ignition coil

coil.jpg