Echo Backpack starter question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mmacsek, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I have an echo PB601 backpack and the recoil starter failed. I purchased a new one thru the dealer and it has a new recoil starter and the piece that threads on the engine. The piece that threads onto the engine has to nylon cams??? instaed of one on the old one. How do I take this piece off the engine? I need to keep the engine from turning and then unscrew the part. I hope I explained clearly enough. Thanks on advance. Matt
  2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

they make a piston stop that threds into the spark plug hole and prevents it from turning, dont have that? then you must place something carefully into fins of the flywheel like a screwdriver to prevent turning their is (huge risk to this if you don't know what you are doing) remember it is reverse threads so turning left is tightening, right is loosening. proceede with my solutition at your own risk. I also suggest carefully looking at this and asking yourself if that part really needs to come off becouse I just serviced a echo starter and did not have to deal with that.
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Or, you can fill the cylinder with some starter rope to keep it from turning. DO not use something jammed in the flywheel fins. I'm sure you'd hate to have to replace the flywheel IF you should break the fins off. No matter how careful you are, there's a right way to do things for a reason.
  4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

A strap wrench around the flywheel is another option. You can also put a wrench on the flywheel bolt/nut to hold the shaft.
    I use an appropriate size impact wrench for losening those type of things. But you have to be careful with an impact wrench.
  5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

ya this guys idea of rope shoved in the plug hole is a good idea i would do that before the last resort of jamming the fly wheel.
  6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. Where do I get a piston stop tool? I will put the recoil on and use the old part on the engine. The new one has 2 nylon cams and the old one has 1. Thanks again for the quick replies. Matt
  7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

What I do, I have these little punches, about 4 inches long, 1/4 inch wide, and an 8 oz ball peen hammer. I just hit the side with a quick shot that I want it to rotate to. Just make sure you have it solid work bench and that you know what direction you need to go in. They are not on there that tight...
    ericg likes this.
  8. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto to rope in the cylinder, just make sure to fold the rope in two, and stick the U in first, that way when you pull it out there is no rope left in the cylinder. Also make sure the rope is new,clean and blow the cylinder out with compressed air when your done, because all it takes is one scratch on a cylinder wall for carbon to start collecting and good-bye piston and jug!!! A spark plug stop is available at most auto or small engine parts stores but I don't use mine just because rope is easier
  9. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

Install the new pawl assembly with the new starter. This update is to prevent kickback when the blower is shut off. The kickback is what breaks the old starter