echo backpack

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by usnavy6, Dec 19, 2006.

1. usnavy6

usnavy6 LawnSite Member

I have a echo backpack eb650, and the engine locked up is there any thing i can do to fix it other than taking it to get serviced?
  2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have the skills, a new short block can be purchased from the dealer. I would think that if your blower has seen a lot of use, give it a proper burial and get a new one.
  3. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Hi usnavy6,
    Depending on the cause of the engine locking up, if it is a broken part, such as a compression ring or wrist pin clip or something of that nature, then the engine is probably damaged to far for a quick fix and will need a rebuild. Sometimes though an engine locks up from overheat or run on low oil or something of that nature. What you can try is to remove the spark plug and put some straight 2-cycle oil in the cylinder and let it sit for a half hour or so. Then try to break the engine loose from the PTO side, don't use the starter recoil, because you'll probably end up breaking it as well. If the you can get the engine loose, put some more 2-cycle oil in the cylinder and turn the engine over slowly. If it gets loose enough to start try using a richer oil mixture than usual, this might help you get a little more life out of the unit. Another thing you can use if you are successful in getting the engine to restart is a chemical rebuild kit. Optimol makes one that works really well. It actually helps reverse engine wear and can lengthen the life of an engine. Shoot me a message if you want some more info on the chem rebuild kit.
    Good luck! Jay
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have done the chem rebuild and it worked decent but I dont think it was worth all the trouble. I don't think I would do it again unless it was absolutley nessecary!
    Do you know why the engine is locked up?

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Jay
    I have a echo 403 that just went and sputtered out on one of my guys.
    The BP has spark and compression It also locked up for a few hours and then
    it released after we took it apart the fan shroud and found some leaves and
    debri. Any way it still is not turn over. any advice here.:waving: Thanks in advance.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got a 650 going a couple years ago this way....I put in the oil immediately after lockup. This unit has run over 2 more years no problem. I have unlocked several echo units over the years. Never had any broken rings and that needs to be checked.
  7. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Hi Walker Landscape
    Your unit sputtered and went out, that one could be more than one problem. If it locked up on you once and you found leaves and debris in and around the engine a possible overheat could have occurred. You say you have compression, check and see if it is over 100 PSI, anything under that can sometimes cause problems. Another thing to try is to prime the unit directly into the carb throte and see if will start. If it runs til the prime runs out, I would suspect a fuel issue, possibly a clogged fuel jet in the carb.
    Good luck! Jay
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

It still wont turn over or won't run? If it won't run try taking the muffler apart if its seen alot of use the exhaust may be clogged and needs cleaning or replacement. I have the 403 and its has worked great since I bought it a couple years ago.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

:waving: Thanks for the suggestions we will give it a try. I will send you an update in a couple days.
    Thanks again and Happy Holidays:)