1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo bed definer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by honeydopm, Feb 28, 2009.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

Im interested in this working on a Redmax too
  2. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

here is some info....

1) This is a REDEFINER.....not made for cutting new edges. Its made to run along the edges of previously cut out beds that have been rolled over and erroded over time or the winter.

2) The 265 power head will turn the tool, however its is definitely underpowered. That's why Echo used the 260. If they could have gotten away with the 265, they would have used it and been able to sell it for 50 bucks less. Lack of power will lead to overheating......and clutch slippage. To each their own.

3) The shield is specific to this tool.

4) Putting this blade on an edger will not do the same thing.

I know these things, because I have already tried them all last year. If I could sell these parts to guys and make some money, because they didn't want to spend the money on the tool itself.......I would have.

You can put an SRM280 gearbox and head on and use it as a trimmer. You just have to drill a small hold for the set screw because it's in a different location because of the edger gearbox.
  3. scotlykins

scotlykins LawnSite Member

I demo'ed the redefiner. it is a very handy tool and definitely a time saver. I did cut a new edge with it. Extremely handy for sharpening bed edges.

This is a very cost effective tool, The only draw back; it only cuts two inches deep.
  4. honeydopm

honeydopm LawnSite Senior Member

What is retail on these now?
  5. green monster

green monster LawnSite Member

I have used this rig. The BRD-280 bed redifiner uses a more powerful 28cc engine. The 265 uses a 25cc engine. I am sure the gearbox is different too. That blade is big and heavy and needs more power than a normal edging blade. When you let off the gas the momentum of the heavy blade keeps it spinning for a bit. I am certain that if you start tinkering with your 265 that you will lose your warranty. The only other bed redifiners out there are big 4 cycle machines with 3 or 4 wheels and they cost $3,000 to $5,000. Plus they take up a lot of space on the trailer. This bed redifiner from ECHO uses up the same sapce as an edger or a trimmer and at $650 is considerably less money.
  6. Hank3rd

Hank3rd LawnSite Member
    from NC

I actually have a Shindiawa edger that I hardly use. The blade does fit and I am going to try it tomorrow. If all goes well, I may look into buying a unit. I already did 90% of my edging the old fashioned way (shovel).
  7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

2 inches is a little conservative. I did my yard with one this weekend and 3 inches i probably more accurate.
  8. Rexdale Grass

Rexdale Grass LawnSite Member

does and one think this would work on a stihl kn110 stick edger+
  9. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

I bought the echo bed edger last year worked great but have not needed it this year at all so if anyone is interested I would sell it. Better then just siting around. $500.00 cash LOOKS AND RUNS LIKE NEW
  10. Martinson9

Martinson9 LawnSite Member

Did you know that it's called a "Re-Definer"? It wasn't designed to cut new bed edges. :confused: