1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo Bed Redefiner

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Deererunner, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I am looking into buying an Echo Bed Redefiner but want to know first how any of you who use them or have used them in the past have liked them. I have read and heard that they will not cut in a new bed. Do they really work as well as Echo makes them out to be. Have you had any problems with them before?

I have used larger self propelled units before to Redefine beds and haven't been exactly satisfied with them. I know a lot of times the best result comes from a sharp shovel but really looking for something faster then that.

If you have any experience or even photos of an end result, please post them and let me know how you like them or do not like them and if it is worth purhasing.

Thanks!!

2. skidoofool07

skidoofool07 LawnSite Member
    from Earth

They are a piece of junk i would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

3. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have a BRD-280. The machine really does work, really well.

I will say that I bought it with the belief that I'd use it every day and it would save me tons of time and make my jobs look way more professional. The reality is that it doesn't get used nearly as much as I thought it would.

It's called a BRD, bed RE definer. It does really quick work for touching the lines up on a flowerbed. It does get bogged down a little bit if you're making a completely new bed and have to cut through untouched grass and soil to make the lines.

It makes a good, deep cut/drop off for the mulch to sit in.

If the soil is wet, mud will cake up on the inner part of the shield and cause a lot of friction at the blade, which slows the blade down and makes the machine work a LOT harder and slower.

My fix for that is to just carry a putty knife and scrape it away when you notice the machine struggling. It takes 5-10 seconds.

So if you ACTUALLY have the work to support such a specialized tool, then buy it. It would certainly be worth your money.

If all you do are a couple of flowerbeds a week/month, save the $600 and use a stick edger, the end result is almost the same.

I'll try to take some pics soon of a jobsite with the beds redefined. Might stop by it tonight.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Have one. Like it a lot. Struggles to cut a new edge in tough thick grass but it will do it.

5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for your time to post this, as I'm thinking of one of these too!

6. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed one and was not impressed, maybe i did something wrong?

7. Deererunner

from NJ

Thanks for all of the comments so far!! Keep them coming, all very useful! I am trying to find a dealer around me that will let me demo a unit so I can try it out for myself but def. keeping all of your responses in my head.

Thanks!!

8. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  9. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

We demoed one in the spring. Kt was ok for sprucing up an edge but not for cutting an actual edge in the fashion that we like to cut them. This doesn't mean it may not work well for you. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Deererunner

from NJ