Echo Bed Redefiner

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Deererunner, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

I have it and it works pretty well. Doesn't do a good job in wet soil, a bigger machine is much better in these conditions. I always hit the edges twice. It will cut new edges in, go slow for the first cut, then clean it up with a second go. The second go around makes a big difference and doesn't add much time. Its great for tight tree rings. I like it. Obviously not as powerful as a pull behind unit, but its light weight and maneuverability makes up for it. Most mulch jobs I just include this service in the price at no additional cost. its quick and looks good. We also swap out the bit for a regular edging blade and use it for sidewalks as well to get even more use out of it. I wish it had a larger engine. The aluminum guard has also needed replacing twice as it cracked in the same place both times.

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one and it sits in the shop a lot.

The first year I had it, we had a dry spring and it was great to do edges on my regular mulch properties that had been edged before. A great touch-up tool.

MUST be dry out to effectively use the thing... I scrape mine off all the time also- like someone said earlier.

Could I have got away without buying it? Sure.

3. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

It looks lik a nice machine,i have never used one before.

4. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Nice, very nice indeed...

I have used this piece of crap 8 times maybe? Total operation time of 1.5 hours in almost a year.

This machine will clog up at even the slightest hint of soil moisture. It is underpowered even with the 280 motor, it needs the 42cc motor that's in the top of the line brushcutter.

Don't buy this tool, use an edger with a sharp blade or get a trenchblade for your edger. This tool is an edger with aluminum housing meant to support the rotational weight of a small edger blade, not a huge 3 fingered carbide blade.

Echo needs to go back to the drawing board on this product.

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, I would expect way more from a 600 dollar piece of equipment.

6. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I own one, I like it a lot. I can prep an existing edge on a bed very, very fast. A large lot with 400 feet of edging would be 2 or 3 hours work for 2 guys to cut the edge and remove the material. With this thing I can do it alone in 10 minutes. And there is nothing to clean out or haul off, everything is pulverized. Just run the blower after to disperse the stuff.

It cost me $600. But if I can save 1 to 3 hours of labor on the 20 or 30 mulch jobs we do every spring, I think it is a very valuable tool. I still charge the customer the same. This was my 2nd season, I'll probably get 8 more years out of it. Huge ROI.

Now for those guys that feel that they need to expose 3 inches of the profile of the dirt before you see mulch, it will not work. It only cuts about 2.5 inches down. But I fill my edges with mulch anyway, I like the way it looks when the edge is full up to the grass. I have no customer complaints from the BDR cuts.

I now cut new beds with it too. I just run it over 2 or 3 times. Beats shoveling.

7. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

HMM, I have not tried the brd 280 but have tried similiar tools, they all caused me to learn to do a nice job on the edges with my weed whacker so I get a nice square edge and keep it, If I need to cut a new bed I will rent the real bed cutter.

8. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

how the heck did that happen to the machine, did it do it to itself or did you get to the point of no return with frustration and busted it against concrete?

9. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

bluebird is the way to go for bed edging. Echo makes good stuff, but its bed edger is not enough to do the job well, I beleive.

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I use mine in conjunction with my Mantis mini tiller. I take one side of the tiller blades off, use it to cut the new edge, then use the the redefiner to clean it up and clear the dirt that spills into the new cut. I finish with my string trimmer with an edgit.....that is what make the edge sharp and defined.... It has its purpose but I will not wrestle it to cut a new edge....it takes to long. As stated dry ground is the best time to use it......