Echo Bed Redefiner

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by wegomow, Jan 23, 2013.

1. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

It is powerful enough at 28 cc in ideal conditions. If the soil is too wet the soil cakes up on the shield and you have to scrape it with a putty knife often. If the soil is clay and it's very dry that also bogs down the machine. Also the depth of the trench is adjustable, so the deeper you set it the slower your pace is.
    Consider that the blade, (claw) is 3 inches wide and if placed on another machine you still lack the extra wide 5 inch shield and flap that throws the dirt forward and into the bed as you walk it backward. Working without the shield the blade would fling soil all over the place as well as the operator. It really moves quite a bit of soil as it trenches.

2. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah I would also attach the shield to the new machine, not smart to work without it. Do you think though the extra 3 or 4 cc's would help out in the less ideal conditions? I'm sure it wouldt in the wet conditions but why about the dry ones?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I bought one when they first came out and was quoted $450.00 for a replacement blade. There must be several after market blade makers now to get the price down to what is being displayed. I wish I had kept mine instead of selling it with the business.

4. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Jeez, the whole unit sells for $600?

5. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

I bought a blade and put it on my Stihl FC95. It works real well. Tried an Echo out. It is NOT a Stihl. Not enough power. Now I see where Stihl is coming out with a bed re-definer. That will be nice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Deererunner

from NJ

Did you have to modify anything or did the. Last fit right on? If you were able to, would you put the blade on a FC 110 or do you think the FC 95 is plenty? I have to buy a new edger this year and def going to e putting the echo blade on for the beds so I am just trying to decide wether I want to go with the 95 or the 110. Thanks! You statement was exactly what I was looking for!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

It fit on it fine. The FC95 has plenty of power. I also have a 110 and have used it on it also. Could not tell a lot of difference. We have red clay around here and it does just fine

8. Deererunner

from NJ

Awesome, just the information I was looking for. I don't have any clay around me do it sounds like I will be good with either of the two edger and the blade. Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i was wondering about how much, i remember i once priced just the head, cuz it will bolt up to the 280t just fine. i think it was still kinda pricey, at least 250, but cant remember.