Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LandscapeSolutions, Aug 12, 2005.

1. LandscapeSolutions

LandscapeSolutions LawnSite Member

I have an old Echo handheld blower. The carb is a zama and has 2 adjustment screws (not one like the new ones). The engine started running like crap so I cleaned the carb. That didnt do anything. So I cleaned it again, still nothing. So I ran down to the mower shop and bought a carb. rebuild kit, installed it, and still.........nothing. I mean it WILL start, but will only run for a minute or two...maybe a little more, but then it dies and nearly impossible to restart. Ive basically given up on it. Its old enough that I dont want to pour a lot of money into it.

Do any of you have suggestions to try? Maybe I should try to replace the spark plug............
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Probably needs new fuel lines and a new fuel filter installed.
    Cheap fix.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I think too,also it sounds like you just need to tune it up also,check air filter and exhaust .I take mine apart(meaning the caseing off) and clean it all up once every year or so,clean any debri out of the cooling fins.
    You might sometimes get confused on which way the choke lever is supposed to be on full choke/ 1/2-choke and off choke.That happens if it has been long time since you have used it and the little arrow has worn off that reminds you which way is open when you go to start it.
    These blowers last forever,I ran my very 1st one 8 years and it was still working when I bought a new one.
  4. LandscapeSolutions

LandscapeSolutions LawnSite Member

When I last tried to get it running I had the air filter off. I palyed with the carb adjustment screws while it was running to tune it up, but I can never get any adjustment that will keep it running.

Ill have to try the new fuel lines and filter sometime......
  5. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

You probably have an air leak either from a crack in the supply line or intake gasket. If you haven't changed the filter in a while you should.

Is it possible its overheating and its vapor lock?? How long does it run?
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You can find the instructions for starting and adjusting the carb by downloading the manual for your model of blower at the Echo website.