echo blower--possessed?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by markahurley, Aug 5, 2008.

1. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with my 2-stokes (mostly echo). I find this helps some. Let motor idle a little before shut down. Before starting pump the primer bulb 10- 20 times.. I find this helps alot. Also I will open and close the choke at full throttle without letting it die. It is a real pain in the #$$!

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I had an echo blower years back doing something like you described. Took me a long time to find out vapor lock was causing it.

There were more factors contributing to the problem:
    - the fuel itself (someone already made an excellent explanation)
    - the fact that blower gas tanks are not protected from the sun (fuel getting hot)
    - a small air leak between insulator and cylinder
    - and echo making a low quality insulator block (the carb was always hot to the touch after running long)

I would take a can of carb cleaner on the job and once the problems started just spray it on the carb to cool it down and that's how I noticed the leak.

Fixed the problem by drilling a hole in the blower housing near the carburetor so it would blow a bit and cool it down. The carb was always dirty after that and I was afraid shooting debris might end up damaging fuel lines, but as simple as it was it worked flawlessly.

Hope it helps.

3. echoman8

echoman8 LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent post. Great ingenuity. I had noticed the motor changing sound immediately when the manifold was sprayed with wd40. I asked our old mech why and he said it was cooling it off. Will try

Thanks
    echoman

4. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

A+ trouble shooting!