Echo blower troubles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by the point man, Jun 5, 2002.

1. the point man

the point man LawnSite Member

Guys, I have an Echo PB2100 which seems to run OK until I
    give it full throttle, and then bogs down (loses power). I've
    tried new fuel and oil filters, new spark plug, adjusting carb,
    fresh fuel and I checked the cooling fins which were clean.
    I have a suspicion that the strange-looking fuel tank vent may
    play a part in this problem, but I don't know anything about
    it and the owner's manual doesn't seem to mention it. Any
    ideas? Thanks.

2. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

Would the spark arrestor screen clogging up cause this?

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

and/or the exhaust ports need cleaning

4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

khouse is probabbly right, just take off the muffler, clean off the spak arrestor, and ports, then reinstall.

certain states don't require that the spark arrestor(screen) be left on, but some states do require it. usually states wih little rain, and strict emissions regulation such as california.

5. firedawg331

firedawg331 LawnSite Member

AFTE YOU TRY THE MUFFLER ,THAT STANGE LOOKING VENT ID PROBLEY THE PROBLEM IF IT CANT BREATH IT CAN'T MIX THE FUEL WITH THE RIGHT AMONT OF AIR GOOD LUCK

6. Alan

Alan Member

That vent has nothing to do with fuel mixture, all it does is allow air to move in and out of the tank in response to temperature changes and fuel consumption. If the vent does go bad the engine will fine for a while after you remove and replace the filler cap. That's a quick way to diagnose venting problems.

I'd bet on the plugged spark arrestor with a need for card rebuild as second choice. I've got the same model blower and used to have the identical problem, carb rebuild fixed it.

7. Shawn's Lawn

Shawn's Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

so what fixed this problem?? I am expierincing the same problems.. what do you clean the spark arestor screen with carb cleaner???

thanks shawn

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Shawn, carb cleaner would probably work but you usually have to chip away some carbon with a screwdriver. Or some coarse sandpaper will also work.

9. Shawn's Lawn

Shawn's Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the reply.... what happens if there is build up on the exhuast port that connects the muffler? do I just scrape at it and tilt it up wards for it to fall out???

thanks shawn

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

You got it Shawn. I always put my 2 cycle stuff on a workbench, tilt the exhaust port so its facing the floor then gently chisel it out with a screwdriver. Be really careful not to scar the piston. I usually pull the recoil so the piston is out of the way.