Echo Blower Vs. Stihl Blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vball2116, Jan 11, 2005.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone im 16 and cut 5 lawns as of right now im in the market to purchase a handheld blower. I am unsure about which blower I would like to buy. The local home depot has Echo models and it is closer to where I live at. The one that I like now is the Echo PB-200. I was wondering which gas handheld blower would be better, this one by Echo or another handheld blower?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

have you looked at the professional dealerships? they have good small handheld blowers that are much better than the ones for home depot. I personally recomend the shindaiwa eb240. I don't own one but they look very good to me.

don't be fooled by the homelite stuff. they are a piece of junk compared to the proffesional models.

3. blkbimm3r

blkbimm3r LawnSite Member

why would you want a handheld blower? you could get a relatively cheap back pack blower(compared to prices of handhelds) and be alot more efficient and even extend your services to leaf removal if you get a decent backpack blower!

Personally, I like echo, i have no problems with the 4 or 5 blowers we have had with them

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Nothing wrong with Echo. By any chance do you have a Red Max dealer nearby? You may want to go with a backpack unless funds are too limited for you. In the long run you can be more productive with the backpack if you do leaf clean ups like already stated. If you're just blowing off sidewalks an Echo or sthil would be fine. You're not doing that much in the way of yards yet so you may want to put off buying more than you need.

5. vball2116

There is a dealer decently close, but why do you think I should buy a backpack blower instead. What are some of the advantages of a backpack blower compared to a handheld blower?

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

More air flow. Cubic Feet per Minute or cfm for short is higher. More air means faster clean up. Also air speed will be higher too. Back packs are built for more rugged use too. See if you can't find one with really comfortable straps if you decide to go with one. Handhelds take up less space and cost less but for the most for your dollar the backpack is the way to go. For just short blow and go situations it isn't worth it to get the BP unless you're doing a lot of yards a day.
    Much more comfortable over extended periods of run time with a B.P.

7. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

If you can afford it i would suggest getting a back pack. I had bot hand and know have a bp, and the bp is better. it is less srtainous and in esaier to operate. get a stihl it will last longer

8. vball2116

I would rather buy a 180 hand held blower and then purchase a good straight shaft trimmer because I don't do leaf clean ups as of now.

Jeff

9. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

you could get an echo and a stihl blower, put them on the ground, then go buy a Redmax and blow them into the street :D

10. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

I go a Stihl BG 85 handhelp blows just as good as the 420 maginum. For what your doing I would get a handheld. just start and go, your not going to be using it for a long time. no straps to screw around with and alot lighter.