Echo brand 2 stroke oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big C, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it true that not using Echo brand 2 stroke oil will void the warrenty on all new Echo equip. my dealer told me that Echo oil is formulated to color the piston on their engines a certian color, thus letting them know if you should return it for warranty work....did see anything in the warranty fine print that stated ony Echo brand oil can be used........is this real or B.S.?

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I would tend to think it's BS ... my dealer didn't say anything like that when I bought my Echo equipment 2 years ago !!

3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

My Echo dealer told me that also about 8 years ago.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

B.S. Echo cannot make you use their oil. As long as you are using quality oil and mixing it to their ratios, you are fine.

5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yup It's true

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

also If you take the guard off....it;s void

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Got a reason for not using Echo oil? I checked a few months back and echo oil bought in gallon container is competitive in price with some other brands that was being discussed on lawn site. I haven't had an engine failure across many pieces of equipment over 30 years.

9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I run it just because the Echo dealer is the closest place to buy it. But your dealer is full of sxxx.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope its against the law for any manufacturter to force you to use there own brand oil.

Can we all say MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT

Print this out and show it to your dealer because I would LOVE to hear what he has to say when you make him look like a complete idiot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act