Echo BRD-280 in GA Clay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by gulfjoe, Oct 22, 2013.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been reading threads on here all morning about the BRD-280 Bed ReDefiner, and I have a question for GA lawn care people that deal with the red clay we have. Will this thing redefine a mulch bed in the clay we have down here?

2. gulfjoe

3. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

Works great for inhancements

4. gulfjoe

I'm going to try one of these Magnum edger blades before I fork out $600
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. GaGolfSup

GaGolfSup LawnSite Member

I have the attachment for my PAS 280 which is basically the same thing. It works pretty well for redefining a bed. It is not meant to create new beds, although I have used it for that. You have to go slow to work it through the Georgia clay. It does not work the same as a Trench master or other brand walk behind machine. Overall I'm happy with it though. Even though $600 may seem steep it is better than dropping a couple grand on a Trench master. It really just depends on what you're going to do with it.

6. gulfjoe

It would be for cleaning up mulch and flowers beds that have already been established. I just don't know how long ago they had been redefined last.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. GaGolfSup

GaGolfSup LawnSite Member

It should work fine for that. Every established bed I used it on it worked pretty easily. Just don't try to force it and let the machine do the work. I'd also recommend looking at the attachment system. It is basically the same price for the 280 power head with the bed redefiner as buying a dedicated machine. With the PAS you have the option of putting any number of attachments on it so your not stuck with a machine that isn't used very often.

8. gulfjoe

Yeah I looked at it and I am probably going to go that route. I saw some of the other attachments that I can get like the dethatcher and articulating hedge trimmer etc etc, and got a little excited:dancing:

Are there any durability drawbacks by using the PAS? I just would think that it may not hold up as well. Am I wrong for thinking that?

I think I may just wait till tax time and see what kind of refund I get $$$$$$

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I have 3 full PAS 280 setups. I use them for all the offbeat attachments. The definer,tiller,polesaw, articulated hedger and straight edging. They have held up great for two years with only basic care. Plenty of power and the coupling is well engineered.:usflag:

10. gulfjoe

Anyone ever use the dethatcher attachment?
    Posted via Mobile Device