Echo Carb Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by br549oicu8, Nov 13, 2007.

1. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have several Echo trimmers and blowers and the problem we are having is carb adjustment, or lack thereof. I have read about removing something for access...etc....and when I was at the Expo in Louisville I chatted with the Echo reps there. I was informed that they had a tool special for removing the cover/adjusting the carb. I was told to order it thru my dealer which I did and have in my possession now.
    Any experience on this?? I haven't even looked closely as to where the access is but I have several 2601's. 260's, and a few 310's.
    If this is repetetive from another thread I apologize. I didn't see what I was looking for in my search.
    All help is appreciated!!

Buddy in Kansas

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hmm.. I bet the EPA guys would love to hear this.

3. br549oicu8

Probably so....
    I have been told the guys are drilling the caps out but I really want no part of that. The new units all have adjustment screws in plain site.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes there is an adjustment screw that is covered by a plastic insert. it is tricky to get out but once out you can grind down a screw driver to fit in the opening. They do have screwdrivers from Echo but supposed to be to dealer mechanic only....but you know how that goes. To keep the 260 serier going you have to adjust them period for wear-in and temperature changes.

5. br549oicu8

Any of you ever drill or remove these covers and adjust??

6. Grouch

Grouch LawnSite Member

The cap can be removed. Use a small drill bit, slow speed, and caution!. Drill just far enough to break through the cap for removal. There is some clearance between the cap and the adjustment screw. Use a small jewelers screwdriver and adjust out for a richer mix, or in for leaner. Generally, it will need to be adjusted out. Run a warm engine at full speed and turn counterclockwise until the engine revs at all the rpm it can muster, then continue out until you hear a slight dieseling indicating a too rich mix. The will provide the extra fuel needed when the unit is operated under load. Be aware, too, that for those of us having to use gas/alcohol fuel, the alcohol is having an effect on the metering and fuel pump diaphragms and will need to be changed periodically. They're easy to change on Echo units and your dealer will have kits available.

7. br549oicu8

I sincerely appreciate your comments and help. Where exactly on that carb is the cover to be removed???

8. Grouch

Grouch LawnSite Member

Look at the throttle cable. It hooks to a lever that operates the throttle barrel screwed into the top of the carb body. The cap is located dead center of the pivoting barrel. It is not necessary to remove the carb from the unit to perform this adjustment. Suggest you might want to get with an Echo dealer before you attempt this to make sure it is one of the adjustable carbs (some are not) depending on which manufacturer (Walbro or Zama) Echo used on your unit.

9. pyromedic

pyromedic LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Hey my 5 yo 2601 has never run decent, but was told that it was as good as it would . I asked about the same thing and was told to drill out the center brass and pop out the BB, well not sure what I was supposed to do but I drill almost all of the brass and some of the plastic at which time the throttle actuator came off , new carb was purchased, installed and the unit now runs like the unit it should have. When purchasing the carb from a diff dealer than the one who told me to drill it , they said the there had been 5 changes to the carb since its inception. Too bad no one told me on the recall. I had to have the Shin T242 adjusted because it was not running with any power either. After a tweak by the tech under warranty, it is screaming like a banshee.

Stay safe and have a great season.

10. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

So how do you find the newer versions that actually work?