echo carb problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by FLCC, Jan 26, 2005.

1. FLCC

FLCC LawnSite Member

This is my first post so here it goes. I am having problems with my echo 260 trimmer and 1500 hedge trimmer leaking gas out of the air cleaner or muffler when not in use. It seems like the gas is being pumped into the carb even though the engine is not running. This does not happen all the time though. On cool days, it might not happen at all. But on the hot days, this might occur at every stop. You go to grab a trimmer and gas is dripping out of the air cleaner or muffler, which ever end is pointing towards the ground as they sit on the trimmer rack. Once you take the plug out, give the starter a couple of pulls to force the excess gas out, and put the plug back in, they run great. Any suggestions or ideas on what the problem might be is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Either your float/needle valve is stuck open in the carb or (more likey) the vent lines from the gas tank are clogged/air vent is not working. This will produce the exact symptons that you described
  3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

How old are the machines? From what you are describing it sounds like the inlet needle valve is not closing all the way. The the carbs probably need to be rebuilt. I had the same problem with mine, after the rebuild they ran like new and no leaks. Rebuild kits are cheap $8-12 and can be done in 30 min or so.
  4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Just loosen your fuel cap a bit when your done.
    When engine is hot, pressure builds in fuel tank and forces fuel into carb and engine.
  5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I would agree that replacing the inlet needle would be worth a try. Keep in mind that the tank vent is a one way vent. In other words, it lets air into the tank but won't let air or gas out. As a result, on extremely hot days, there is tremendous pressure buildup in the tank which is made worse by bouncing around on a trailer in the sun. That pressure is going to be released somewhere: through inlet needle, through weak tank vent, around tank ferrule, or by an ill fitting fuel hose. In these conditions I would suggest storing on trailer racks in a carb down position. In extremely hot conditions I believe you can expect some leakage to occur.
  6. FLCC

FLCC LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the information. I plan on rebuilding the carbs and replacing the gas tank vents. Hopefully this will fix the problem.
  7. 89redl98

89redl98 LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with my Echo PE200. Replaced the fuel vent, engine ran better and the leak stopped.