echo carb probs./ hedge clipper

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gpb, Mar 1, 2008.

1. gpb

gpb LawnSite Member

Great looking site-newby here. Here's my problem: I have an Echo HC-151 hedge clipper and I broke the return spring on the carb. rotor assembly(I'd call it the butterfly valve). Took it to the dealer and couldn't just buy the spring but had to buy the whole cover assembly rotor(#P005001320). After installing the new rotor ass'y I could only start the clippers with full throttle and then it would die if I dropped it below half throttle. It will not idle, only will run in wide open down to about half. Idle adjustment screw is turned all the way in but no help. BTW clippers ran fine before I changed the rotor I just had to turn the rotor by finger to drop it to idle speed. There are no adjustments like H/L only idle speed. Obviously I did something wrong but can't figure it out. I've taken it off and on several times looking for the obvious but nothing clicks. The new part and the old one are identical. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?? Thanks in advance for help!!
  2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Maybe the new assembly is defective. Maybe the butterfly is put in wrong in the factory. Since you have no choice but to buy the new assemble, can you just take the spring, put it into the old assemble and use it?

Look at the old one how it open and compare to the new one and see there is any difference, I bet you will see it.
  3. gpb

gpb LawnSite Member

thanks yungman...I thought of changing the spring to the old one but it looks like it would be very tedious. The two units are a perfect match so I'm thinking I did something in reassembly. I'll wait to see if someone else has any ideas and if not Iwill try the spring swap.
  4. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

It may be an unrelated problem. My Echo hedge trimmer had the exact same symptoms--it began running slower and slower under heavy throttle until it would barely work and wouldn't idle. The problem turned out to be that the spark arrestor screen on the muffler clogged with carbon.
  5. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like air could be sucked between the butterfly assembly and the carb or between the carb and the intake.
    Check for missing, misplaced or damaged seal between the pieces.
  6. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

There is a small roller guide that probably fell out when you took the rotor assy off. Take the rotor off & check to see if the roller is on the pin just at the top of the body of the carburetor.
  7. gpb

gpb LawnSite Member

Oh the roller guide...that little booger took me an hour to figure out what that was when it fell out. No that's not the problem. I talked with echo today and he thinks it might be an O-ring that goes between the rotor and the carb. body. Of course they don't stock this item so I'll have to wait till it comes in and try that. I don't recall taking any O-ring off the original nor did I find it laying on the benchtop. I do know that there is not one on it now so maybe that could be the problem. I'll know in about a week when it comes in.