1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo Carb SRM261T versus PB650

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is the carb on these two units basically the same. I want to take a new carb off a trimmer and put it on an old PB650 to confirm that carb will fix the problem. I have cleaned the ports, new carb kit, new fuel filter and new head gasket and new spark plug. When I accelerate the unit it bogs. If I squirt carb cleaner into the carb slowly it takes off and runs as long as I squirt.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

From a mechanical standpoint they seem alike but it looks like the jet may be different....probably bigger diameter hole on the blower.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Just take the air filter off of the carb you suspect is bad and once you get the engine running, put a gassy rag next to / over the carb opening and as you increase the throttle, hold the rag closer. The vapors from the rag act like a crude carburetor but will run the engine just fine if carb is the problem. Taking new carbs off of new trimmers to fit onto an old blower just for a check is a waste of time. Rag works every time.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for that tip......the problem turned out to be a spec of dirt in the tiny jet valve. I failed to pull it out and run fine wire through it when I rebuilt the carb. I thought I sprayed carb cleaner through it put obviously didn't. Put it back together and it is running fine.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Good job. Dont ya love it when you fix stuff yourself.