1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

echo carbs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ducky1, Aug 31, 2005.

1. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I have a question. I thought I read a thread here about a way to adjust the non adjustable carbs on echos. I was thinking that there was a adjustment right in the center of the throttle shaft that you had to have a special tool to adjust it with. Does anyone know what I am talking about. If so what is the part number of the tool? I looked at one and there is a funny shape down in the center of the throttle shaft that looks like it could be a adjustment of some kind. I have a few trimmers that could stand to be fattened up just a tad.
  2. ducky1

anything anybody?
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Although I'm not the 2 stroke joke where I work I have been around them and never heard of such a adjustment inside a throttle shaft, I may be wrong but it just doesn't sound right, It just doesn't make any sence how it would work.
    If they need fattened up it may be time to clean and install new kits in them.
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

If you are speaking of the Echo rotary carb, your problem may exist in the nylon roller collar upon which the rotary throttle rotates. Take out the four screws on top of the carb and pull out the rotary throttle assembly, being careful to not miss the very vine oring which is usually retained in the plastic cover. The nylon collar sits on a pin inside the carb body. The collar is quite small and difficult to see(with old eyes like mine) and is white opaque in color. I have replaced a number of them and they do effect running.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I do stand corrected, I talked to the 2 stroke joke and he said on the newer models that is a adjustment in the throttle shaft but he hasn't as of yet had to make that adjustment and doesn't know of any special tools needed.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The older carb can be adjusted but there are not tools. The adjusting device involves making a device to rotate that needle. You can use the insulation from a small piece of single strand wire. You push the insulation over the needle and turn it. Obviously you have to have the carb disassembled. I have been sucessful about half the time. A better route to go is get a new replacement carb(with the single adjusting screw) and put it on all the old equipment. I just upgraded one of my PB650 blowers and now the unit starts on first pull and runs good on hight end. Best $50 I spent.
  7. ducky1

Thanks for all the info. I have a few ideas to try now. Will probably end up just replacing some carbs if they come with adjustment screws.