1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

echo chain saws

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John at JDH Select, Apr 20, 2004.

1. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Has anyone had good luck with echo chain saws? Our old homelite gave up the ghost last week and I had my crew leader run over to our local dealer to p/u an Echo 16". So far...so good. It starts easily and seemed to handle the (3) trees very well. Has anyone used these saws in heavier applications?
  2. deadend

deadend LawnSite Member

Echo's are fairly good saws but saying you got a 16" saw doesn't mean anything. I can put a 16" on my 7+ horsepower Husky 395 and have an unstoppable saw or put a 16" on a Stihl 017 and it will bog. What size engine does it have? If it is a larger Echo you will probably be pleased with it. If it is a small cheap one then that is what you have.
  3. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Echo CS-346 (16" bar) and just bought it about 2 months ago. I have only used it maybe 5 hours so far. It seems to be a very nice saw from my experience. Good power and light. I would buy another one.

4. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I have two CS-3450's that I've had for three years now and I use them quite often, really work them at times in the winter cutting up blow downs and such. Use them for heavy pruning also. So far I've had no problems with them at all. Back in the day when I worked in the woods I used nothing but Stihl but these little guys seem to be holding up very well, I like them :)
  5. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

The Echo cs340 and cs300 are decent saws if you need a top handle. Other than that they are a waist of money. You pay more money for a husky or a stihl, but those saws will last you 20 years. If you do run an Echo make sure you stay right on top of your maintenance or you'll have some seriouse problems. Check out the husqvarna 345. It will be a little bit more money but its twice the saw.
  6. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought the echo 345 off ebay, new in box with case for $200. I have not had to use it yet, but it felt like it had good power when i started it.
  7. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

You did well. The saw has a list price of just under $300 I believe. That price is without a case too.

8. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

There have been a few on ebay selling for around 200
  9. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

The Echo saws are awesome...

Great power to weight ratio and they last a long time!!
  10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I love their little 12" trim saws they are powerful and lightweight.