Echo Chainsaw CS-370 Review and Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XR650, Aug 19, 2006.

1. XR650

XR650 LawnSite Member

Great site:waving:

Here are some comments and questions on the new Echo CS-370 Chainsaw:

The good:
    light, Starts likes it wants to run down the street at 100mph, well balanced, starts cold even with out a purge bulb.

The not so good:
    the side chain adjustment does not give you enough torque to tighten the chain and it feels like it will not last; they try and place so many rubber mounts between the engine and the handle it feels a little flimsy; THERE IS A METAL CLANKING NOISE COMING FROM THE BEHIND THE FROM SPROCKET ONLY AT IDLE.

I removed the guard, chain and bar then stuffed a rag between the front sprocket and the case to make sure the noise was not just the front sprocket - it was not. It does go away at just above idle. But is definitely coming from in case. It would almost have to be the crank or the connecting rod.

Question - does anyone else have a saw like this that makes that kind of noise.

FYI for everyone thinking just take it to the dealer. 1. They are too far away. 2. I do not let dealers touch any of my equipment so it will _____ up before they touch it and mess it up even more. *** No offense to any dealers out there!!:hammerhead:

2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Mine makes the same noise... I also have the Echo 230 pruner saw and the same noise comes from the engine portion of the unit. I'd say mine is more of a ping than a clank, and its only at idle. The dealer claimed that it's not a mechanical issue, its just a noise they make. I haven't had any issues yet, but I've only cut 1 fairly large tree using both units.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

That noise sounds like the clutch. Try lowering the idle a bit. It may be idling a little too fast and the clutch may be trying to engage.

4. XR650

XR650 LawnSite Member

I will try to lower the idle and let you know ... thanks!!

5. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever used a side tensioner before?? You have to put a little upward pressure on the nose of the bar as you are using the side tensioner to properly tighten the bar. Once you get the bar tight and you retighten the bar nuts it will stay tight.

The CS-370 runs like a raped ape! Tons of power for the 16" bar and very light as well. I like the new orange color as well.

Mine does not have the metal clanking noise but I have had other units in the past that has...nothing to worry about.

6. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

They can't match the power of a stihl so they have to paint it to look like one.

7. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Of course you have never used one (Echo CS-370) but you spew all kinds of BS anyway. Truth is that Stihl doesn't even make a pro saw in the 36 cc range. Their pro saws start at 50 cc's and above except for their tree saw. (If you can read, you can confirm this on the Stihl web-site)

BTW..the new Echo saw looks nothing like a Stihl.....you should actually take a look for yourself before making such stupid comments.

Stihl's professional grade saws are top notch...their homeowner stuff.....not so much!

8. mountainlake

mountainlake LawnSite Member

Hey, take it easy on Mow, he has a hard time seeing through those orange glasses with white bows. Steve