echo crossfire vs. (walmart) shakespeare pulverizer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Apr 21, 2007.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have an echo srm 230 with the separated spool. i loaded up one side with the echo crossfire and the other side with the pulverizer stuff. went out ran it and ran it. which one do you think won? you may be suprised but when the crossfire ran out, i still had almost 2 feet of the pulverizer left on the spool. this is just test one. i'll conduct more tests before proclaiming the pulverizer is better. what do you guys think? has anyone else conducted experiments like this and if so, how'd they fare. thanks.

randy.

2. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have and am in the process right now of testing regular stihl line vs the oregon stuff i think its gator line or something with the kevlar cord. I have only run 2 spools so far since i havent been doing much but i am running out of stihl 3 pound spool so im trying to figure out what to use. Right now i have not been impressed with the oregon stuff really. It appears to be higher the the stuff i am running right now and from what i have seen wears no better

3. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I was trying that for a summer. I found out that the tanaka line held up really well to everything else I used.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have been impressed with the shakesphere line from walmart too. i am trying the new grassgator twist line from home depot. its very good .cuts clean and is very long wearing and extremly quite. its the same $ as echo crossfire .arnold extreme still wins in my book for longest lasting and cuts best i have seen. another of my favs is "the edge" but hard to find -its green and shaped like crossfire but much better

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the twisted line... and I've field tested a bunch of stuff.

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had very good luck with cheap off brand trimmer twine. The only occasional problem with it is if you run at full rpms constantly for several minutes, the cheap stuff will "weld" together. But for just regular trimming, there is no point in buying the expensive stuff.

7. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I have been using the walmart pulverizer for a few years and am very happy with it. The square line seems to handle more weeds and tall grass better than round line. You really cant beat the price of the pulverizer. Lasts for about 30 + houses at 1/6 acre average each on my shindaiwa T231.

8. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I've been using the pulverizer for 8 years now. I just bought 2 rolls 800' per roll. I paid $18 a roll. You can't beat it for price and durability. I've tried them all.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Your test makes no sense. If you put 2 equal lengths of the same size trimmer line in the same head how did you manage to get the Echo line to run out faster? When you bump the head to advance line both sides should come out exactly the same.

10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking the same thing............!