1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo Edger Question......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Sharks, May 24, 2005.

1. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up an Echo Edger (PE-2000) at a yard sale for $30. Looks to be almost brand new. One problem is that I don't have an impact wrench and I am having a ***** of a time gettting the blade off. Since I don't have the manual is there a trick to getting this off. Almost feels like it has Loctite on it.

2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Stihl edger and the bolt is reverse thread. maybe you are turning it the wrong way.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You have to put a small metal rod in the hole next to the blade (Phillips screwdriver will work fine) to stop it from spinning. Look for the hole, then spin until the screwdriver drops in the other hole. Then the threads are left handed.
  4. Lawn Sharks

Thanks! I looked for something like that as it made sense but only saw two small set screw holes. I only looked at if for a few seconds and got called in the house. I will go back out and see if I just had a brain cramp and missed it.
    Thanks for the help!!!
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Same as above. Turn the blade until you see a hole to stick the screw driver in to block the blade. Get replacement blades that are 8"L x 2"W with 1" diameter mounting hole.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If you set the edger on the ground, and stand on the wheel side, the hole comes out at about 10-11 o'clock, when looking at the wheel side.
  7. Lawn Sharks

Thanks to all. I got it off but there is no hole as described so this PE-2000 must be an older model.

In the plastic safety shroud there are three allen bolts. I put an allen wrench in one and almost blew an blood vessel in my brain but it finally came loose. I thought for sure the plastic housing would crack. The person who must have put this on had to be a gorilla or an impact wrench set to the highest setting. Whew!

The stupid thing is that I have a nice big compressor sitting in my garage but no impact wrench. Guess I will have to buy one the next time I am at Lowes.

Thanks again to all. :cool2: :waving:
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No impact wrench is needed for this operation.

There has to have been a way to prevent the shaft from spinning.
  9. Lawn Sharks

You would expect there to be something but as you can see from the pics attached there isn't. in the first pic you will see a circular indent in the housing just to the right of the shaft. This is not a hole but has plastic in it like it was taken from a mold and this was the injection point if that makes any sense.
    Should this be drilled out?

In pic 2 you will see the allen bolts that I put the allen wrench in to keep the blade from spinning.

edger 1.jpg

edger 2.jpg
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Looks the same as mine. THERE IS A HOLE. Your just not looking at it correctly.

Between the blade and the shroud is a metal splined disc/spacer that comes off the gearbox spline. On THAT disc, there should be a hole with which to stick a round object in to prevent it from spinning.

Unless yours has one off of a string trimmer (doubtfull).