Echo Edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbrooks17, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mbrooks17

mbrooks17 LawnSite Member

Is there an after market edger blade for an echo? We just bought a new echo edger and it is going through blades like crazy. We've had it for a month and are on the 3rd blade?

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Oregon makes replacement blades, but check at your local mower shop you can buy them in bulk also its not uncommon to go through blades that quick i use a blade a week per edger. You can also slow down the blade wear a little by raising the depth hight. Hope this helps.

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an edger blade just about every day or two. They are CHEAP!

Do you think that there is something wrong with your Edger because you are using blades?

Just go and buy a box of 50, I got my last box for $26.00. Granted they are not heat treated but so what. I can buy them so much cheaper than the heat treated ones that it makes fiscal sense to me.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T buy your edgers or blades from HD/LOWES they will drain you! GO to a dealer and they will be about $.50 if you buy one or if you buy 50 or if you go to the box stores they will get you for about 3 or 4 bucks each.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

There are some days when I kill a blade in less then a day. I buy them by the 50 pack (or 40) whichever from my dealer. Get a good price, its really close to 40 cents each.

5. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I use the heavy duty blade on my echo. It is a thicker blade. I don't have alot of sidewalks, so don't use the edger that often.

6. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

Go on Ebay and do a search....I got 'em cheap there...

7. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup. I use the Oregon blades from my dealer. They are cheap, and work well.

8. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I get em from Expressmowerparts.com they are a sponsor very good $$ and I go through about 5 per week I have miles of sidewalks

9. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Out of curiosity are you guys using your edgers every time you edge or do you use your weed eaters to edge most of the time?

I would use my stick edger once in the spring, mid summer, fall and the rest of the time we just edged by turning the weed eater 90 degrees and edging with the line. You have to have good quality line though. We used square gator magnum trimmer line and it worked great for us. We could go straight from trimming to edging or vice versa with out having to walk back to the truck and make a really productive rhythm especially when we had two or three properties next to each other.

As far as quality wise you could not tell the difference between which way we edged, in fact I will go so far as to say that most of the time after our initial stick edging, edging with our weed eaters looked better.

But I got lucky in the fact I had lawns and grasses that this method worked really well on.

10. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

any other options besides expressmowerparts?