Echo equipment.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by jaybow, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

No more Echo equipment for me! Om sick of the carb issues. Stihl makes a more reliable tool then echo. The carburetors on the newer echo stuff is junk. I thinlk their 2 cycle oil is second rate also. It may lubricate ok, but ypur more likely to have gumming issues with it. At least I know the Stihl oil is better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. KODAKMOWING99

KODAKMOWING99 LawnSite Member

junk,i threw 2 6 month old echo trimmers in the trash,ive have stihl since

3. jaybow

from Mi

I have the 770T Backpack blower. When it runs good, it performs very well, but it gums up very easy, last winter, and this winter now. I never had a Stihl gum up on me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

Junk... Had a lower hour 266 trimmer burn up on me and the wouldn't warranty it...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

Yes the new carbs SUCK! But if you are using the 89 or 91 octane, they will run forever.
    I prefer the 91 premium for back packs and trimmers..

6. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure why people complain about Echo so much. I've always used 87 octane gas, Amsoil oil. My newest trimmer is 8 years old. Still carry around the 15 year old one as a back up. Sold my 20 year old hand held blower a few years ago for $25 in a garage sale. Still running my 18 year old backpack blower. There may be better equipment out there but I don't know about because my Echo stuff never quits.

7. jaybow

from Mi

The new orange stuff is different. They changed the carbs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

Yes we know it is different. Clearly in the echo manual it is now telling you to, actually HIGHLY recommending you use 89 octane or higher. Plus I only use ECHO oil and have no problems. Plus (yes another plus...lol) all of the ECHO equipment is from the HOME DEPOT.

9. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

1) Echo's power blend Oil is Fd rated. Highest rating there is.

2) Stihl's 4-mix are notorious for carboning up. Stihl ultra was designed to reduce/eliminate the problem.

3) The carbs on most Echo's (the cheap ones) are Zama. Parent company, Stihl.

4) the Stihl Ultra oil, isn't Fd rated.

I absolutely agree that the new (mostly unadjustable) carbs are junk.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. jaybow

from Mi

I have the 770T Backpack, that was Echos top notch, and I ran premium fuel all summer in it, and it started to gum up towards fall anyways. Its a light comfortable blower, but like I say, I think the Stihl is more of a commercial product in my opinion, And I have been running Stihl for 7 years now and only two issues ever, one coil burned out, and had to adjust valves once on one of the newer 4-Mix stick edgers. The coil burnt out on a weed whip I bought used on Ebay, my first commercial whip. It still runs perfect today. that thing is probably 15 years old.