echo ES 230

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by crownls, Aug 29, 2005.

1. crownls

crownls LawnSite Member

anyone ever use this item or something similar? its touted as a commercial grade handheld blower/shredder vac. looking at purchasing one of these just to suck up the leaves in mulch beds, under shrubs & decks. it inlcudes a 2.5 bushel bag that shreds leave 12:1. not looking to do an entire yard here just mulch beds. Thanks

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have the es 210, same thing except a little lower in quality. I hate the vac part. Horrible suction, shred ratio of 12:1 not happening at all, The zipper on the bag gets caught all the time. the vac tube usually falls off, Can be a pain to convert from blower to vac, and someother things. When i bought it, that was my intention for it too, but it soon was designated to soley a blower. Just my 2 cents! (love the blower though!)

3. crownls

crownls LawnSite Member

thanks mcm, thats a bummer i figured the power probably sucked (no pun), but didnt take into account all the other stuff. i still may demo the commercial model.

4. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have the 230 it works good until you suck up a chunk of wood from the mulch.it jams up the impeller.you have to remove the suction tube and pry out the obstruction.

Ron

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about getting a couple of these for getting the leaves out in between the shrubs, plants, under decks, etc... I know this thread is years old, but is there anyone else out there that has gotten an ES-230 for this purpose? Hows it work?

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I've got one and I love it. For the vac/shred part you're better off blowing it into a pile and then shredding it. The post about wood chunks is correct, it'll suck them right in between the impeller and the housing.

7. merrimacmill

I've been thinking of getting a couple of those, or one of those leaf vacs made by DR equipment for the back of a ride on. They have a 15 foot hose attachment that will allow you to suck the leaves out of the beds and under porches, etc...

8. daveslandscaping

daveslandscaping LawnSite Member

I have never seen a commercial landscaping company use a handheld vac. I am assuming its for the reasons listed by everyone else, mainly lack of power. I always thought they seemed like a good idea, but too good to be true.

We blow the leaves into the grass with the backpack and then suck them up with the Walker. Walker def has a nice reduction ratio. Obviously we are talking about a big difference in equipment prices, but works great for us.

9. merrimacmill

Ya, if I had a walker thats what I would be using also lol. But it seems there must be a better, and faster way than blowing the leaves around the place. I'm seriously considering the DR vac for this fall. But I also want a truck loader for my new dump, so I'll have to pick and choose between the two.

10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Upon further review, I should mention that I use the shred-n-vac portion of mine for around the house. The blower is the only thing that gets used on the job. It's too big a pain in the ass for me to do it for customers, I'd never get anything done that way.