Echo Fixed head Hedgetrimmer on String Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, Sep 3, 2003.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Echo Articulated Hedge trimmer attachment for my Split Boom power unit. A little on the heavy side with the heavy articulating gearbox, but I like it, and so does my Aunt and Uncle. Problem is, that power unit is what I use for my Edger attachment just about every day. I hate being without my edger! And they have a LOT of tall hedges and shrubs to prune.

Now for my question.... They have a LESCO trimmer (the older Echo 23.6cc ones, only green) Since I mow for them they no longer have a need for it as a string timmer. They were wondering if they took the string trimmer gear box off, and just purchased a Hedge Clipper attachment, removed the short tube off that gearbox and just mounted the Hedge Clipper attachment gearbox right to the end of their string trimmer.

Will it mount?

Are all tubes the same diameter?

Are all internal driveshafts the same size OD?

They kinda want to make this....

[​IMG]

Anyone try this, or know if it'll work? I don't want to see them spend close to $200 if it won't work.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'd bet it would work. If you already have a split boom attachment to use for this project, couldn't you use that gearbox, or are you saying they want one of their own? I just sold (yesterday) a non adjustable hedge trimmer attachment for an Echo split boom. BTW, I'd bet the conversion will work. Think about it, they use all the same engine and shafts with different dedicated end tools, why wouldn't it? You can at least take off the trimmer gearbox to see what drive it has, then ask the dealer to check what a hedger drive is, then you will know before parting with $$$. BTW, a split boom non adjustable hedge trimmer attachment is $189 new. You can get Echo stuff at http://www.alamia.com
    Good luck, post a pic of the finished hedger.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks FSM,

You'd bet.

I'd bet.

But, my Aunt and Uncle don't want to!!! :)

Waddya mean you just sold one!? Thats what I want! Alamia doesn't list one anymore. I'd buy local most likely. Just for the fact that I'd want to test fit it while I'm there.

I just didn't know if ALL Echo/LESCO trimmer shafts are the same diameter, and ALL Echo/LESCO internal drives were the same size.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The older echo stuff was 7/8 inch and the newer stuff is 1 inch. That's easy enough to check. Otherwise, I've already done what you want to do, so good luck and email if you need any help. Also, it's easy to change and adjust the length of the drive wire by cutting it with a grinder, or cut off wheel and then grinding it square to fit the attachment. Orginally I tried to hammer it square, but the grinding works much better.
    As far as the heaviness, that's why a stayed away from the articulated head.
    Pete

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

OOP's as long as you're using the spring wire drive, they are all the same size.........I have the PAS splitboom and it's spring wire..........
    Pete

trimmers stuff1.jpg

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

As long as they are both cable or shaft drive it should work. You'd get it dirty test fitting it and they won't like that (dealer).
    The SRM2400 s/b of mine is cable drive and so are the attachments. Figure out what Echo model that Lesco is and look up on www.echo-usa.com if it's cable or shaft drive and then click on the attachments for that unit and see which hedge trimmer you need.
    This is the one i sold.

Oh I just saw and read Pete's reply, if you have the shaft drive, follow his advice there. If cable drive, the cable can be cut with a reciprocating saw or a jigsaw with metal blade. Put the cable in a vise and cut close to the vise's jaw.

3.jpg

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Nevermind, that model trimmer is long since been discontinued. I think you just need to take it apart and look, or talk to a knowledgeable Echo dealer. But I'm sure there's an attachment to fit right on it easily enough either way, without any jeri-rigging.