Echo guys- have you tried the new SRM-280T with the ProTorque gearbox?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by tb8100, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Just curious if it's as powerful as it's hyped up to be. Supposed to be significantly more powerful than alot of the competition's 30-35cc 2 cycle trimmers. Fact or fiction? :confused:

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Haven't tried one yet. But I will as soon as my dealer gets in his new stock. The gearbox should make a big difference. It does on the 261T.

3. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I was very excited, I went on the Echo web to look. To my big disappointment, Both new SRM265 and SRM 280 use single ring Vortex engine!!!:dizzy:

What happened to Echo!!!?? Of all the other brands with 2 rings, I don't think I'll spent money trying these. I am willing to spent a little bit more on gas for the 2 rings!!

Too bad!!!

4. tb8100

from TX

The single ring engine was not a cost-cutting method. It's a larger ring with 75% less clearance between the ring and cylinder wall. What they did was design the engine with tighter tolerances. Personally, I'd rather run equipment designed to run with less friction and tighter tolerances than with a design that required two rings because clearance was too high to maintain compression with a single ring. This 3rd generation is more precisely engineered.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Exactly!
    It will reduce heat. We all know heat is what will kill an engine.

6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

How about longivity and heat transfer from piston to cylinder. I opened a SRM260 engine lately, top ring was partially stuck and was not functioning. The second ring still free and maintain compression. If you have one ring only, that will be the end.

If this is such a good idea, how come nobody doing it. I have a lot a lot of parts diagrams from different manufacturers, The only other brand that I see using single ring is Dolmar 30cc hedge trimmer, Mantis 2 cycle mini tiller ( engine make but Kortz, same as Echo.) and one hedge trimmer by Makita.

Before Echo only put Vortex engine on the low end models ( ones in Home Depot), Now they start using it in higher models!!! Precision manufacturing is just tighter tolorance, not a new technology. You can spend more money to tighten the tolorance of a two rings engine and still get the benefit of low friction and longer life. RedMax has a record of good gas saver, they use two rings on their Strato Charged engines, you never hear them complain!!Their horse power ratings are pretty high!!

7. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

8. Bear's Total Works

Bear's Total Works LawnSite Member

never mind the 280 got the 340 now thats a beast 34cc but it is pricey

9. tb8100

from TX

they don't make that one anymore. Echo claims the 280T is more powerful than the 340. Have you tried both?

10. tb8100

from TX

it is definitely not a costcutting method to precision engineer something. It just so happens that they introduced some new technology with this engine as well. Why doesn't everybody use this technology? Well, not everybody has the skilled engineers to make powerful and efficient 2 cycle engines, so they release 4 mix and c4 hybrid engines to grant them credits to make their inefficient engines as well. With the Power Boost Vortex engines, you won't have the valve issues that these hybrid engines are plagued with. Redmax got it right also with their Stratocharged engines. As EPA restrictions tighten, you can bet that Redmax and Echo will pull ahead of the crowd unless they get their act together and make a really efficient 2 stroke.