Echo HC-150 dies at idle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by hdfxsti, Oct 4, 2005.

1. hdfxsti

hdfxsti LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Need help please...I have an Echo HC-150, I have to start it up at full throttle to get it to crank then as soon as I left off the trigger it stops running. I tried adjusting the idle screw, no help. Drained gas, replaced plug, cleaned spark screen, air filter is clean. Not sure what else to do, I can't find any other adjustments on it and the manual is no help.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Fuel filter clean?

3. joe stihl

joe stihl LawnSite Member

Sounds like the carb is overflowing. Replace or put in a kit.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Definately the carb, rebuild or replace it.

5. eZrider

eZrider LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Thanks for the help (changed my name since my question was posted), I will check the fuel filter and then pick up a rebuild kit or a new carb tomorrow. This trimmer has less than 10 hours on it. I'm surprised that the carb could be bad already but I'm willing to try anything. This is the only Echo piece I have, I purchased this at the Depot before I started my business. I wish I had bought a Stihl through my local dealer as he does not service Echo's....Thanks again for the help.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

With low usage this is not a dirty filter and probably don't need carb rebuilt. Maybe you got some dirt in gas, may have to take carb apart and clean. Look for loose stuff first, carb screws, gas lines, etc. Redo the adj. screws again, maybe you didn't get them correct.

7. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

I agree that with only 10 hours on it, you're looking in the wrong areas. I had a similar situation with an ECHO trimmer and it turned out to be the spark arrestor. Somehow it got gummed up very quickly. Generally, these arrestors, attached to the muffler outflow port, are just tossed out unless you use the equipment in a fire hazard area.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

are there carb adjustment screws on these any more if so thats most likely all it needs. the carbs on these units are known for going bad alot. echo isnt what it once was.

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Dido! I just bought all Echo stuff this year and my trimmers and stick edger take forever to start. Iv'e tried new plugs no luck they still take about 10-15 pulls to start them, then I have to play around with the choke to keep them running til they warm up. My b/p blowers- no problems at all! they start the first or second pull and stay running.:dizzy:

10. cmrgrounds

cmrgrounds LawnSite Member
    from augusta

I just recently bought an echo hedge trimmer and mine does the same. All the new echo hedge trimmers and line trimmers do the same thing when you first start them up...run like crap. When i asked my dealer he told me that they come from the manufacturer set to run lean for all the new emissions they have out now. Supposedly there is a plug that covers the adjustment screw on the carb and you have to drill it out to get to it. Then you will be able to adjust the carb so your machine will run better. I’m doing mine today.