Echo HC-150 Hedge Trimmer Help/Advice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Landscape89, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying one after seeing it and reviewing info on the Echo Website. Has anyone ever used one or has one.. Could you tell me how it cuts? Im just wondering if this is a trimmer that cuts ragged and leaves Stems on the Bushes and Shrubs, or does it give a Nice, Clean Professional Cut look?

2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

My echo over time became a real bear to start, It isnt a bad unit, Just keep your blades sharp if you are worried about leaving ragged stems and stuff. The Blade speed is ok, Nothing compared to my new shindaiwa DH2510 but it is a good unit for half the price of the shindy.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I like my Echo hc 150. Its been a good machine so far. I have demoed the Redmax chtz2400 and the blades are fater on that though the echo is good for starters and is only 269.95!
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the HC-150i and love it, the ratchet pull start is very smooth. This time of the season the lawn mowing slows down a tad and the Hedge/shrub trimming really picks up. Last two weeks I'd wager we have trimmed around 200 or so yews. Trimmed lots of boxwood hedges, barberry, moonglow, burning bush, etc. Echo's never miss a beat, but as others have pointed out keep 'em sharp, keep 'em clean also.
  5. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the echo for the last 16 yrs. Good unit as far as i am concerned. Only thing i don't like is the bolt heads on the bottom of the bar grab what i'm cutting every once awhile. Gonna change them out for dome heads and see how that does.
  6. Stretch

Stretch LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

i give mine abuse and get a good 3 years out of em..Ive never broken one and dont wear out until they look UGLY and beat up. They will also cut whatever will fit inbetween the blades, it even cuts chain link fence:dizzy:
  7. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked on line for the Echo HC-150, and it looks like it's now been replaced by the HC-151. But there is also an HC-151i for about $30 more. Can anyone tell me the difference? Looks like the HC-151i weighs about a half pound more, but all of the other specs seem to be the same.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

i models are easier to start. they have a different spring set-up in the starter mechanism. Pretty much, when you pull the cord on them, you are loading the spring. The spring then turns the engine over...or something like that anyhow.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 of the HC-150's. Reliable units, cut decently. Went to a Stihl recently with a longer bar.