Echo HC-150 or Kaw KHT-600S

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bladecutter582, May 8, 2008.

1. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

I've got to buy a light weight hedge trimmer and I really don't want to spend a ton. I've come up with these two. Me and my aching shoulder will be thankful for a few suggestions.

2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have the HC151 which is the same as 150. It is too short. I feel I have to reach all the time and is very tiring to use. I am planning to get either a short reach articulate hedge trimmer or a 30" double side in the very near future. The weight of the 150 might sound good, but you have to keep reaching or bending and it hurt my back. It is a good one, but it is soooooo LOUD!!!!! Most Echo use the same 21cc Vortex engine, so it must be just as loud. Don't be fool by the small size, it can really SCREAM!!!!!

For Short reach trimmer, I am deciding between Redmax SHTZ2401, Husqvarna 326He3X, Kawasaki or maybe Maruyama.

Heard a lot of good things about Kawasaki so maybe, I need to find the quietest one.

3. bladecutter582

Thanks for the answer but I would like to hear from someone who has had the Kaw. It is very affordable and I know they make great engines. I guess I need to hear someone's good or bad testimony.

4. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I've been using a Kaw 600S for 2 1/2 years now with no problems; I'd recommend it to anyone.

(I have previously owned the Echo, I definitely think the Kawasaki is the better trimmer.)

5. bladecutter582

thanks Ed
    what if anything do you not like about it. :walking:

6. yungman

from Calif.

Is 600S much quieter? I am looking at Kawasaki also. Heard a lot of good things about it.:waving:

7. slone

slone LawnSite Member

i have 2 kaws. the only way to go. trims shrubs like slicing through butter. easy to use and light weight,

8. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

There's not really anything I don't like about my Kawi trimmer.....starts & cuts good. I don't know about quieter but I definitely think it's smoother; less vibration.

As far as cutting ability, I think it depends more on how well you take care of your blades than what brand of trimmer you have. I keep mine sharp and have no complaints at all.

I've been using Kawasaki trimmers for 3 seasons now; I've had Echo and Stihl before. Not really anything wrong with either, but for power vs. weight along with reliability it's hard to beat Kawasaki and I'd have to be really impressed with something to move away from them.

Their blowers currently just aren't powerful enough but for hedge clippers & string trimmers it's Kawi all the way for me.

9. frogman18

frogman18 LawnSite Member

I just bought a HC-150 and it seems to be a great trimmer especially for the price.

10. yungman

from Calif.

I think the Maruyama BL8100 big blower is actually a Kawasaki blower. Different is Maruyama have 5 years warrante. I hope to have someone use the Kawasaki trimmer to compare to the noise of Echo.

To Frogman18: The HC150 is good, just too short and tooooo LOUD. It SCREAMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Might sound funny, but this is the main reason I am buying another one. It is like 4 times louder than my Honda 31cc trimmer. Louder than any of my stuff by a lot. I use it a lot at my own home, I cannot affort to be like the pros, blasting the neighbor and walk away!!!!:laugh: I have to face them everyday.

BTW, on the HC150, make sure clean between the blades. Mine came with greece between the blades and was dried up new out of the box. It cut bad from day one. I have gone through the whole thing and nothing help until I use a puddy knife and scrape out all the crap between the blades, now it work like it never had before.