echo hc-150 problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, May 6, 2003.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

just got this hedge trimmer and cranked it up for the first time today and when you give it gas it boggs down because the cutters aren't moving. Is there a brake on these like chainsaws? I did take off the gaurd that covers the first half of the teeth but I was told to do this because it makes it much easier to cut with it off. Will it not work with it off? Any ideas?

2. FLMOWER

FLMOWER LawnSite Member

Try loosening the screws on the cutting shaft 10mm I think. Also there is a lube fitting on the underside of the transfer case.

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

If it is bogging down on acceleration and the blades are not moving I would apply a liberal amount of WD-40 to the cutting bar(between the blades) I would guess the machine was put away wet and rust has seized the cutters.
    FLMOWER also has a cure but you will need two 10mm wrenches and do not loosen the bolds too much. It's also possible that the previous owner attempted to adjust the cutters and over tightened these bolts, got disgusted and sold the machine to you.
    BobR

4. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

My guess is that when you took off the blade guard, you tightened the bar screws down too tight. They should be locknuts, so you don't have to torque them all the way.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Mine have done this before. If the other suggestions don't work, take the back cover off and see if the gears inside are bound up somehow. I've always been able to unstick em.

6. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

how are these i have an opportunity to grab 2 pair of these for 150 bucks. one works great the other runs but the blades don't move

7. TOOLSHACK

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

Did you just buy these from your dealer...or did you buy them used?

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I had the gearbox/blade assembly replaced on mine to the updated version. MUCH better now. Echo had a recall type deal on the older gearboxes. But I would check the blade bolts first.

9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I just posted a complain just 2 weeks ago and I fix my problem. Yes removing the gard seemed to make it cut better. I bet you tighten the bolt too much. I just went through the whole checkup, according to the manuel, you loosen the nut, tighten the bolt on the other side to barely tight, then back off the bolt 1/2 a turn, with a wrench holding the bolt, tighten the nut on the other side to lock the bolt. Do it on all 5 of the bolts, this will give you the basic clearance. I myself experiment and finde 1/3 turn loose works better for mine. Make sure you clean the crap out of the blade, My problem of not cutting has a lot to do with the stuff stuck between the blades. The blade will not move if you have less than 1/4 turn clearance .

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

The HC 150 gearbox would just jam up once in a while for no real reason, it would still run but nothing would happen. Take the bottom Gearbax plate off and you will see the rod that moves the blades is stuck. Just reset it and off you go til the next time. It's not hard at all and should take a total of 5 minutes.