Echo hc 1500 hedge trimmers blades won't move

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gosselin142258, Mar 4, 2008.

1. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Ok so mine start perfect. problem is blades won't move anyone of you guys ever had this problem?

2. hanson's glc

hanson's glc LawnSite Member
    from mn

i have the same problem. i took the bottom off were the allens are and found no key brooken. i did no more with it. hope some one knows.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would guess the blade bolts are too tight.....5 of them or so. Kinda complicated to describe how to adjust them. Back off the locking nut a little and then open up the clearance then tightened the nut back.

4. hanson's glc

from mn

the blade stoped moving when i was trimming. thanks for the imput. it has been over a year that i looked at it but i will dig it out and see if i kan move the blade.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You probably have dirt all wedged up inside the guard keeping your blade from moving, a big screwdriver helps pry that crap out.

6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

With out alittle more info, my best guess would be that they need to be oiled. Soak them in WD40 or some PB Blaster. If that fails, there should be some washers on the blade bolts on the underside of the blades, you should be able to rotate the washers. If you can not move the washers, then I would loosen the blade bolts just a hair so that the washers can rotate.
    If that fails, then the problem is likely in the gear case. Hedge trimmer blades should be oiled at lease every hour of use.

ericg likes this.
  7. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

what type of oil do you prefer?

8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

That is going to be your route to getting them going again.

The lock nut is only a locking device, the bolt threads into the bar.
    Loosen the lock nuts, loosen the bolts until you can move the washers with your finger, tighten the lock nuts while holding the bolts from rotating (even a 1/4 turn can mess you up. Once you figure it all out, you can have some tension on the washer, it helps make clean cuts on fine shrubs.
    More than likely, just one of the bolts has tightened itself.

As for the oil; PB for penetrating, Fluid Film for regular clipper maintenance.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah have had echo hedge trimmers do that, i took off the gear box cover and loosened the blade bolts .; then i checked movement in the gears and all. took the gears out, cleaned and put back. i then but the cover back on and greased the gear box well. stared them up and they moved again, so i dont know wah i did. but then i tightened the blade bolts a little at at time till jsut the right tension. i started them up in between each tightening to make sure the blades still rotated. been working great since. hope this helps,

10. hanson's glc

from mn

well i have had the whole thing apart. gear box and the clutch no thing broken or wearn. i have not started it yet. i will post when i do that.