Echo head problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ARLawnCare#1, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ARLawnCare#1

ARLawnCare#1 LawnSite Member
    from AR

Does anyone have a problem with echo heads coming apart? I mean I string up, tap once, and the entire head comes apart. Please help! Thanks!

2. TX Ins Agent

TX Ins Agent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Sounds like you are either wrapping the line in the wrong direction or incorrectly, or the plastic notch that holds the head from falling off when releasing line is worn down.
    Personally, I would get a new head for the Echo..they are only around $25 and come preloaded with line. The new head should last you at least one season.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

You're probably not twisting it the right way. To tighten it, tighten it down, twist it counter clickwise and you should feel it snap into place.

TX: I go through 3-4 heads a season. ANd right now we're only doing 45 yards a week. I cant imagine what some of these larger commercial companies are doing.

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

go with the rapid loader, $20 at my dealer. It takes two 8" pieces of line, insert into holes and go, when line gets down to 3 inchs you pop out the old and put in fresh line. At first I didn't like it, but after a couple months I wouldn't use anything else. I don't have to worry about frayed ends, line binding or tangling inside the head or the head flying off. Takes a few minutes to cut line into 8" (or so) lengths but well worth it.

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

You don't have it on correctly.

Make sure the wholes line up with the little notches then slip head on, taking care not to let line slip into spring. Then push down hard and turn spool counter clockwise.