1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo Hedge Trimmer Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingram10, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Kingram10

Kingram10 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Hey Guys, I just bought a Echo HC-150 Hedge Trimmer and I have a Question.

It came with a Blade Stiffener. Do you Guys use these and what are they for??
  2. lawnsbytim

lawnsbytim LawnSite Member

Do you mean the blade guard that keeps fingers from being cut off?
  3. Kingram10

from Arizona

There is a Orange Blade cover that is used during transport and there is also a BLADE STIFFENER that attaches to top of blades and guides material being cut into blades.
  4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Is it a silver metal strip. If so I use it on mine. It came with it on and I never needed to take it off. I am to lazy to remove it any ways.
  5. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

Most trimmers have these, they're not only a stiffener, they provide you a measure of protection in case the trimmer contacts your leg or something like that.

It's not absolutely necessary, I messed the one on my Kawasaki trimmer up and ran it without it while the one I ordered came in. It shouldn't affect the way the trimmer operates with or without it and from a safety standpoint it oughta be there.
  6. CNY Property Management

CNY Property Management LawnSite Member

I run that trimmer as well. The bracket you are referencing provides a certain level of protection for your hand that is closest to the blade. The machine will run fine without the bracket, but will be less safe. I beleive the bracket also acts as a support and guide for the blade.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you are using in commercially Echo actually recommend leaving it off their hedge trimmers.
  8. jmq

jmq LawnSite Member

I use the same trimmer and I have not take it off either. One problem I have noticed is that if the blades are not lubricated often enough, the cutting blades will sieze up. I always clean and oil before I put my orange cover back on...

Have any of you used VERY long (36"+) hedge trimmers????
  9. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

i have the same trimmer. never bothered to take it off. it is a safety feature. it also helps guide the bush into the blades. no problems here.
  10. Kingram10

from Arizona

My Echo came with Blade stiffener/Guard off Just laying in the box.
    It said everytime you put it on or take it off you have to use NEW locking nuts.