Echo hedge trimmers attacked me today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, May 14, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its just starting to be prime hedge and shrub trimming time. Just be careful while you are trimming.

Today while cutting one side of a tall hedge that was on a hillside, I lost my balance and drove my clippers right into my knee. I just had them freshly sharpened. The teeth were lodged in and I could barely pull them out. Not a fun experience. Really I know I needed at least two stiches in the one gash, but I opted to clean it up with the first aid kit, and keep working.

In 12 years of doing this I have never had something like this happen to me. No matter how careful you are, if you lapse in concentration for one second accidents can happen.

Just be careful while hedging this year. Remember, if given the chance Hedge trimmers Bite!!! :eek:

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

OUCH :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

3. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

A guy I worked for back in the day got his arm caught in the blades, I had to get a wrench and pull the blades apart.

4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember when I was a teenager, I got my start working for another landscaping company. The owner insisted on us using electric hedge shears. I used to cut the extention cord all the time, but I never hit my leg.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You're a little late to tell me. I got my partner with the hedge trimmer this spring. Almost took his finger off. Took 8 stitches to close it up.

6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

:eek::eek: :eek: Well I've got you all beat!!!This is my first year out and I've already had hit my self with an electric grinder twice. 1 I was sanding my trailer and the cord got caught and then released and I hit my left knee with the grinder at 10,000 rpm with a wire brush attachment. Had a flesh wound about the size of a silver dollar, Hurt like hell for a week. I was wearing jeans with a few holes in them and guess were the holes were?? You got it right at the knees I was actually limping for 3 days. 2 A week later I was grinding a metal plate for the trailer hitch and the grinder slipped and hit my index finger. 3 Somehow got poison ivy on my right arm. Don't know how I got it or what the plant looks like. 4 I've already been sunburned before the month of may even started. I've got 4 strikes against me already

1. I'm Polish
    2. I've got blonde hair
    3. This is my first year out
    4. Reread the first 2
    :eek: :eek:

Ken

7. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

I feel your pain Lawn Dog. I hit my knee with my hedge trimmers last week - apparently there is a bleeder-vein that runs over your knee cap (artery?) and every time my heart pumped, so did the blood. Well, after a boot full of blood and five stitches, I decided to order the trimmer chaps from W.E. Chapps. Believe me, they are well worth the investment.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

meathead i got you beat, I was grinding blades on a bench grinder. I got my thumb, 1/4" deep, 5/8" long section of flesh missing. I got my self with my 5" Dewalt grinder with a wire brush, wire brushed my hand. My 9" Dewalt grinder grounded the leather off my boot and into the steel tip after i hit a weld the wrong way and shot it back into my foot. (that sucker has a 4 horse power motor and its heavy) I am lucy i haven't got my self with my 4.5 battery Dewalt grinder. I don't let anyone use my hedge trimmers, i was talking to one guy, he had gotten him self across the upper part of the leg, and almost got something else that was very important to him (if you know what i mean).

I am going to order a set of those we chapp chain saw/ hedge trimmer pants and jackets soon.

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

A few weeks ago I dropped a Dremel rotary tool onto my bare knee at 30,000rpms!! It has since left a nice scar that will be with me for life.

10. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

My push mower pick up a golf ball (I think) buried in the grass.
    Discharged it agaist a brick wall 3 feet away and it bounce off that and went right in front of my eyes. Whole thing took 1/10 of a second.....Must have been a golf ball, I can still see the white dot that wizzed by......