Echo hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LarryF, Jul 14, 2007.

1. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I had posted the following question in the Maintenance & Renovation forum where someone else had started a thred on Echo hedge trimmers, but since I received no responses, I thought I'd try it here.

-------------------------
    I looked on line for the Echo HC-150, and it looks like it's now been replaced by the HC-151. But there is also an HC-151i for about $30 more. Can anyone tell me the difference? Looks like the HC-151i weighs about a half pound more, but all of the other specs seem to be the same.

I haven't really finalized my decision to get an Echo hedge trimmer, so any other recommendations at this time would be appreciated.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No dealers in your area?

3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That "i" means it has a special recoil pull on it and it makes it easier to pull. You shouldn't need it. I have the 150, it is very easy to start without spending the extra money on the "i". Other than the "i", they are exactly the same hedge trimmers.

4. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

I'm going on a brief encounter but i believe the (i) stands for ignition, easier to start. You can easily find that information on the echo website. I had an echo hc-150 that gave excellent service for light to medium pruning for several years with no problems. just the usual carburetor tweaking. This is a light duty trimmer so don't cut yourself short and find out later that you need more power.

5. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

Grits is right, i just looked it up on there website (i) is for an easier pull recoil system. I never had a problem with the hc-150 as long as i didn't flood it out.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

power isnt the problem with these-its reliability and poor cut. take a look at the shindawia home pro hedge trimmer-same $ -way better machine

7. LarryF

Thanks for the tip. I have to admit that the fact that Home Depot carries the Echo HC-150 did make me a little leery about it. I doubt if I would ever wear it out if I did get the Echo, but if there are better hedge trimmers at about the same price, I may as well look at them. I also saw a Kawasaki at Lesco. Any advice regarding them?

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i havent owned the newest kawis from lesco -but i would take them over the echo any day. the best thing you can say about the echo is that its very light and can use allday with out getting tired . the shin home pro is even lighter and a high quality unit for the $ but if the kawis are a good deal -go with them

9. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i just picked up the hc-150 last week from my dealer and they're perfect for what i need them for. the 151's you're talking about are the california certified model. i honestly don't know the difference other than that. even though they're light duty, i think they can handle most jobs.

10. LarryF

Thanks Dan. The Kawasaki I saw and the Echo HC-150 seem to be about the same price, but the Kawasaki is 24" as opposed to the Echo being only 20". I think the Kawasaki is heavier. Here's a Lesco description of it.

http://www.lesco.com/ProdCatalog/ProdCatalogNav.aspx?ProdGroupID=9&SKUGroupID=80